Bucket of water spinning in vertical circle

In summary: But at the top of the journey the acceleration and the velocity IS perpendicular. In the next instance, the situation changes. How? Is the reaction force still 0? Why did it change, if it did?I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but in the first instance, the reaction force would be zero because the water is stationary. However, as the bucket continues to rotate, the reaction force would increase because the net force (centripetal plus gravitational) would be acting more and more towards the center of the rotation.
LotusTK

Homework Statement

The water stays in the bucket, even at the top of the circular path, as long as the speed exceeds a certain value. Explain why.

I think i have a good answer, but not 100% sure. My answer:

There is a centripetal force acting on the bucket and the water since they are traveling circular motion. In order for the water to remain in the bucket when the bucket is at its highest point, the reaction force of the bucket acting on the water must be greater than the weight, since the centripetal acceleration of the bucket must be greater than the acceleration due to gravity in order to prevent the water from falling out of the bucket.

This can only be achieved above (or equal to) a certain velocity. This velocity is given by:

v= sqrt(g x r) I obtained this formula by equating the centripetal force equation with mg.

Is what i have said correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Overall, your explanation sounds good to me except for one statement:
LotusTK said:
In order for the water to remain in the bucket when the bucket is at its highest point, the reaction force of the bucket acting on the water must be greater than the weight,...
When you say "greater than the weight" I'm not sure what weight you are talking about (bucket, water, both?). But actually, the force of the bucket acting on the water does not need to be greater than the weight of any of the objects. If the speed is just at the point where the water is on the verge of losing contact with the bucket, what is the magnitude of the reaction force of the bucket on the water?

Thanks for the reply

Oops. I meant the reaction on the water from the bucket must be greater than the weight of the water.

I say this because wouldn't the bucket have to be accelerating towards the centre of the rotation faster than the bucket for the water to stay in the bucket/ lose contact with the bucket?

What would a FBD look like for the water at the top of the swing?

rpthomps said:
What would a FBD look like for the water at the top of the swing?

Wouldnt it just be two forces, both acting towards the centre of rotation and therefore directly downwards. One being the reaction, and the other being the weight?

LotusTK said:
Wouldnt it just be two forces, both acting towards the centre of rotation and therefore directly downwards. One being the reaction, and the other being the weight?

Good. Now, what if the "reaction" of the bucket provided zero force ONLY at the top of the swing? Is this possible? If so, would the water still be able to go in a circular path?

Well this would mean that the only force acting on the water is weight, so the water will no longer follow a circular path, since it is no longer being accelerated perpendicular to its motion. So it would just fall towards Earth with a parabolic motion rather than circular motion?

LotusTK said:
Well this would mean that the only force acting on the water is weight, so the water will no longer follow a circular path, since it is no longer being accelerated perpendicular to its motion. So it would just fall towards Earth with a parabolic motion rather than circular motion?

But at the top of the journey the acceleration and the velocity IS perpendicular. In the next instance, the situation changes. How? Is the reaction force still 0? Why did it change, if it did?

I meant after that point, the acceleration is always directly down, because the force due to gravity acts directly down. But now i realize what you were initially asking: Reaction is zero only at the top, but is not zero again afterwards when it continues to turn.

But in order for the reaction to be zero at the top, wouldn't the centripetal acceleration of the bucket have to be less than the acceleration due to gravity, so that the water is accelerating directly down (towards centre of rotation) faster than the bucket?

So if we say that the reaction force just about becomes zero at the top (if centripetal acceleration was just below acceleration due to gravity) the water will attempt to travel straight again, but the bucket is still rotating, so the water will "make contact" with the water again. So the water will almost instantly go from feeling no reaction, to feeling a reaction again as the bucket rotates just past the highest point.

I think part of your confusion is believing centripetal force is its own separate force. The centripetal force is the combination of all the forces acting on the water. This combination (or net force) is always acting towards the center of the circular path. At the top, when the velocity is at its minimum, the centripetal force is composed only of the weight of the water. In the next instance, as inertia carries the water over, the centripetal force has changed direction a little(still pointing towards the center) but is a vector composes of the weight of the water down and the reaction force of the bucket on some angle.

I know that centripetal force isn't a real force. I understand what you say. So at either side, when the string holding the bucket is parallel to the ground mv^2/r = T (tension in string). And at all other positions mv^2/r = T+mgcos of the angle from the vertical.

I think I am finding it confusing because the bucket and water are independent objects. I am totally comfortable with working with a ball on a string, or questions in other context which involve only 1 object.

Is this correct for the water:

At the top, mv^2/r = mg
All other points: mv^2/r = mgcos(a) + Rcos(a)

Sorry if i keep getting things wrong!

Related to Bucket of water spinning in vertical circle

1. What is a bucket of water spinning in a vertical circle?

A bucket of water spinning in a vertical circle is a scientific experiment that involves attaching a bucket filled with water to a string and swinging it in a vertical circle. As the bucket moves in a circular path, the water inside the bucket stays inside due to inertia and gravity, creating a visually interesting effect.

2. What causes the water to stay inside the bucket while it is spinning?

The water stays inside the bucket due to a combination of two forces: inertia and gravity. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, while gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. In this experiment, the inertia of the water keeps it moving in a straight line, while gravity pulls it towards the bottom of the bucket, causing it to stay inside even when the bucket is upside down.

3. What factors affect the speed and stability of the spinning water?

The speed and stability of the spinning water can be affected by several factors, including the speed at which the bucket is swung, the size and shape of the bucket, and the amount of water inside the bucket. The length of the string and the force applied to the bucket can also have an impact on the speed and stability of the spinning water.

4. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment is significant because it demonstrates the principles of inertia and gravity in a visually engaging way. It also helps to understand the concept of centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. Additionally, this experiment can be used to study the effects of different variables on the behavior of the spinning water.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this experiment?

Yes, the concept of a bucket of water spinning in a vertical circle has real-world applications in various fields. For example, it can help in understanding the behavior of water in amusement park rides, such as the pirate ship ride. It can also be used to study the behavior of liquids in space, where gravity and inertia play a crucial role. Additionally, this experiment has practical applications in engineering and design, such as in the creation of centrifuges and water turbines.