Broadband vs DSL: Learn the Difference

• Thread starter z4955
  • Start date
In summary: There is no way to subscribe to a faster speed through cable, you are stuck with the speed that is available to the entire system. PriceCable is generally cheaper than DSL. I have seen it as low as $30/month for basic service. DSL can cost upwards of $60/month for the same level of service. Now in broadband, one may have choice of DSL or T1 lines (phone company), cable (coax or fiber optic), or even satellite.There are a few flavors of T1, but the most popular is DS-0. Satellite is not really a broadband option, more of a luxury item, and can be quite expensive.
z4955
what is the difference between broadband and DSL if any?

Computer science news on Phys.org
DSL is broadband. Cable is broadband. 56k is dialup.

Broadband is a type of data transmission in which a single medium (wire) can carry several channels at once versus dial-up which is a dedicated line.

Now in broadband, one may have choice of DSL or T1 lines (phone company), cable (coax or fiber optic), or even satellite.

DSL is usually limited to within about 5000m (8000 ft) of the central switching office, after which performance degrades, and in some older systems, DSL may not be possible. T1 lines are very expensive.

Cable depends on the local cable franchise, and usually one has only one choice due to local monopoly.

My experience is that cable is generally faster than DSL, for the same price.

Check broadband.com for a comparison of technologies and price - http://www.broadband.com/

Ok, some clarification is needed, for example, a dialup line is not dedicated, it is switched, but I am walking out the door, so I will return later to clarify DSL, broadband, switched vs dedicated etc... Unless someone else beats me to it. Or maybe no one cares (which is why I ususally don't discuss my line of work here). :redface:

Cable is pulling away from DSL in speed and price. T1 lines are 1.5mbps/1.5mbps lines that businesses and large networks use that cost a couple hundred a month i believe. Cable also has a very large established range in comparison to DSL , at least in California. We have cable way out in the country towns. Dont worry about reliability because its not really an issue unless you absolutely can't live with a few hours of down time each year or 2.

Evo said:
Ok, some clarification is needed, for example, a dialup line is not dedicated, it is switched, but I am walking out the door, so I will return later to clarify DSL, broadband, switched vs dedicated etc... Unless someone else beats me to it. Or maybe no one cares (which is why I ususally don't discuss my line of work here). :redface:

So Evo what line of work would that be? Seems like you are in EE: Communications.

By the way what is the logic behind the device that allows you to be using a dialup internet connection, and when a phone call comes in you can take the call while the internet is on hold?

exequor said:
So Evo what line of work would that be? Seems like you are in EE: Communications.
No, I'm in technical telecommunications sales, I work for the largest telecom company in the US. I design and sell data networks. I've done this all my life.

By the way what is the logic behind the device that allows you to be using a dialup internet connection, and when a phone call comes in you can take the call while the internet is on hold?
Logic as in "why" do people want it, or how does it work? I specialize in the network part and wouldn't know technical information about equipment.

dduardo is correct dsl is broadband, astronuc is also correct, but I wanted to clarify a few terms and add some current information.

Terms

Broadband - the way this is used now days, it is more of a general marketing term referring to a wide selection of "fast" data connectivity options rather than a technical term specifying a particular transport method. Astronuc's definition is correct, and can also be wireless service (microwave), etc...

DSL is usually limited to within about 5000m (8000 ft) of the central switching office, after which performance degrades,
this used to be true, but not anymore, I have clients that have qualified for DSL over 56,000 feet from the CO, this is always IDSL and is usually no faster than 144k though. I have clients that are within a stones throw of the CO and can't get DSL because of load coils or extensive splices.

and in some older systems, DSL may not be possible.
Not exactly, it's the quality of the lines, not how old. Central Offices (CO's) are upgraded to handle DSL through the addition of a device called a DSLAM (Digital Subcriber Line Access Multiplexor). A company is not going to go through the time and trouble of making DSL available in a CO if the CO doesn't serve a heavily populated area. These areas usually have the most up to date CO equipment which is probably why people associate DSL with newer systems. I also have customers getting 6Mb downstream on their DSL.

Cable is a shared service and the more subscribers in your area using cable modems, the slower your connection will be. I had a friend in a nearby college town that had so many cable subscibers that I could download faster on my 28.8 dial up connection than he could with his cable connection. :-p Ticked him off. :approve:

T1 lines are very expensive.
Yes and no. A T1 (DS1) is a 1.544Mb dedicated digital circuit and can either be designed as an access loop (premises to CO) or point to point (premises to premises) even though it physically routes through one or more CO's. These are usually priced by distance. A short T1 access loop can be very cheap. This is not a residential type of offering, so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail.

A telephone line is what we call a "switched" line. It accesses the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network). They also are referred to as POTS lines (plain old telephone service). A dedicated line is one that bypasses the PSTN and is usually referred to as a "leased line". I am keeping to very simple definitions here. :smile:

56k - You can use a 56k modem on a dial up telephone line. In telecom, the term 56k is usually either a dedicated private line, access loop, frame port, etc...

Evo said:
No, I'm in technical telecommunications sales, I work for the largest telecom company in the US. I design and sell data networks. I've done this all my life.

Logic as in "why" do people want it, or how does it work? I specialize in the network part and wouldn't know technical information about equipment.

Why do you seem disgusted with your job, you seem to know tonnes of stuff (really well)? Why wouldn't you think that people here would be interested in what you have to say? You have to be a pro :smile: .

also just to wonder with T1 isn't it something like, one computer gets persay 1.544 mbs and 50 computers get very near 1.544 mbs also? because my entire school districts computer system is hooked into the same T1 line(thousands of computers from elementary to high school) and we all get above 100 and 200 kbs i believe on ave per computer

exequor said:
Why do you seem disgusted with your job, you seem to know tonnes of stuff (really well)?
My job used to be fun, now it's a struggle not to get laid off. We're buying another company and there is duplication in jobs.

I want to move into the product house and design services. I'm waiting for someone to die and create an opening.

Why wouldn't you think that people here would be interested in what you have to say? You have to be a pro :smile:
Most people here have issues with home computing. I deal with businesses and it really doesn't relate to the average member here. Today I was discussing adding Cisco 6000 switches with a client, they run around $100,000 each.

Why do people have issues with PC's? :D

There are also different types of DSL, such as ADSL, SDSL, and i heard a new type VDSL, the later could change people's opinion about choosing Cable over DSL.

Last edited:

Related to Broadband vs DSL: Learn the Difference

1. What is the difference between broadband and DSL?

Broadband is a high-speed internet connection that allows for faster data transfer rates compared to traditional dial-up connections. DSL, which stands for Digital Subscriber Line, is a type of broadband connection that uses existing telephone lines to transmit data.

2. Which is faster, broadband or DSL?

Broadband is generally faster than DSL because it uses different technologies to transmit data, such as cable or fiber optic lines. DSL, on the other hand, uses existing phone lines which can limit the speed and overall performance of the connection.

3. Can I get both broadband and DSL at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to have both broadband and DSL connections in your home or office. However, you may need to pay for separate services and have the necessary equipment and wiring to support both types of connections.

4. Which is more reliable, broadband or DSL?

Both broadband and DSL can be reliable forms of internet connection. However, the reliability can depend on factors such as the provider, location, and quality of equipment. In general, broadband connections tend to have less downtime and faster speeds compared to DSL.

5. How do I choose between broadband and DSL?

The decision between broadband and DSL can depend on your specific needs and location. If you require high speeds and a reliable connection, broadband may be the better option. However, if you live in a remote area with limited internet options, DSL may be your only choice. It's important to research and compare the available options in your area to determine which type of connection will best suit your needs.