Body diagonals -- unit vector notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct placement of zero values in a vector diagram and how it relates to finding the endpoints of a diagonal. The expert advises to use vector expressions for the endpoints and subtract them without including any zeroes. The computer system is not wrong in this case.
Iron_Man_123
Member warned to complete the template and show details of the effort made

Homework Statement

I'm fully convinced that the zero values make sense, yet they are wrong, can somebody please explain why is that the case

4.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt in the image above

Physics news on Phys.org
(a,0,0) is the bottom, left and front vertex in the diagram, right? Where is the other end of the diagonal from there?

haruspex said:
(a,0,0) is the bottom, left and front vertex in the diagram, right? Where is the other end of the diagonal from there?

It's at the top right corner of the image, which has 0 x-coordinate, am i mistaken?

Iron_Man_123 said:
It's at the top right corner of the image, which has 0 x-coordinate, am i mistaken?
That's right. The vector along that diagonal is the difference between the endpoints, as vectors.

haruspex said:
That's right. The vector along that diagonal is the difference between the endpoints, as vectors.

However, I wrote zero in the i component in the answer space to part (b), does that mean the computer system is wrong and I am right?

Iron_Man_123 said:
However, I wrote zero in the i component in the answer space to part (b), does that mean the computer system is wrong and I am right?
No, zero is wrong. Write the vector expressions for the two endpoints of the diagonal and subtract the bottom left front one from the top right back one. No zeroes.

Related to Body diagonals -- unit vector notation

1. What is the definition of a body diagonal?

A body diagonal is a line segment that connects two opposite corners of a three-dimensional shape, such as a cube or rectangular prism.

2. What is the purpose of using unit vector notation for body diagonals?

Unit vector notation is used to represent body diagonals in a standardized way, making it easier to calculate and compare diagonal lengths in different shapes and orientations.

3. How do you calculate the unit vector for a body diagonal?

The unit vector for a body diagonal can be calculated by dividing the diagonal's length by the length of the shape's side. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1, representing the direction and length of the diagonal.

4. Can unit vector notation be used for any type of shape?

Yes, unit vector notation can be used for any three-dimensional shape, as long as the shape has defined sides and diagonals.

5. How is unit vector notation helpful in scientific research?

Unit vector notation is helpful in scientific research because it allows for consistent and accurate measurements of body diagonals in various shapes, which can provide valuable data for analyzing and understanding the properties of different materials and structures.