Bluetooth speaker connects to Raspberry Pi 4 but plays no sound

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of pairing a Bluetooth speaker to a Raspberry Pi 4 and selecting it as the current audio output. However, when trying to play media, the speaker remains silent and pressing the volume up key only plays the media for a short time. The speaker's profile is shown as "High Fidelity Audio (A2DP Sink)" under "device profiles." The person suggests troubleshooting and checking for a proper driver on the Pi, as well as researching possible solutions online. They also mention that Bluetooth earphones have worked without any issues, but there may be a specific module needed for the speaker to work properly.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
  • I am able to pair my Bluetooth speaker to my Raspberry Pi 4.
  • I am able to select it as the current audio output by right clicking on the "speaker" icon, top left of desktop.
  • Under "device profiles" the speaker's profile is shown as "High Fidelity Audio (A2DP Sink)".
  • But when I play any media, the speaker is silent.
  • Each time I press the volume up (+) key on the speaker, it plays the media for a short time (a fraction of a second).

Anything I can do to troubleshoot and fix this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I haven't done anything like this before but the first thing that I would do is check to see if you have a proper driver installed on the Pi.

Borg said:
I haven't done anything like this before but the first thing that I would do is check to see if you have a proper driver installed on the Pi.

At least some of the driver stack is installed and working properly, because I am able to use Bluetooth earphones (2 or 3 different makes) without any problem.

I could still be missing some specific module that is needed for the speaker, though. I am googling this problem. The suggestions I found so far haven't helped.