Black Holes Schwarzschild radius

In summary, the Schwarzschild radius is a distance from the center of an object where the escape speed from the surface would equal the speed of light if all the mass were compressed within that sphere. It tells the radius of the event horizon of a black hole. There is a theoretical link between black holes and the Big Bang, but they are not the same. The inside of a black hole is still a mystery and we await further understanding through grand unification.
Cbray
Is Schwarzschild radius trying to state the gravitational field on the event horizon of a black hole?
If not, what is it trying to state?

Can you give me a example using his formula to figure out the gravitational force of a black hole in the event horizon?

Do you have any links I can read about black holes and formulas? I'm very interested in them, tho they're scary :<

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Quoting wikipedia

The Schwarzschild radius (sometimes historically referred to as the gravitational radius) is the distance from the center of an object such that, if all the mass of the object were compressed within that sphere, the escape speed from the surface would equal the speed of light

In other words it tells you the radius of the event horizon. This http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/" can give you lot's of different information as well as providing you with formulae.

Last edited by a moderator:
ryan_m_b said:
Quoting wikipedia

In other words it tells you the radius of the event horizon. This http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/" can give you lot's of different information as well as providing you with formulae.

Out of curiosity is the black hole and/or event horizon a sphere (3D)? If we did go into a black hole, would it be insanely hot and bright since it would have been trapping heaps of photons?

Cbray said:
Out of curiosity is the black hole and/or event horizon a sphere (3D)? If we did go into a black hole, would it be insanely hot and bright since it would have been trapping heaps of photons?

It is a sphere yes. The inside of a black hole is a bit of a mystery, current theory predicts a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_singularity" may tell us what really is going on inside a black hole.

ryan_m_b said:
It is a sphere yes. The inside of a black hole is a bit of a mystery, current theory predicts a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_singularity" may tell us what really is going on inside a black hole.

My hunch is that gravitational singularities do exist, but not from our frame of reference due to the immense reletavistic time dilation. Mapping of a finite observer time to an infinite coordinate time - there are theoreticals that refute the Event Horizon can ever be crossed.

I genuinely think that Black Holes provide the key to understanding the Big Bang, as theoretically a singularity encompasses many mathematical problems which can be associated with the initial Big Bang event. I am not stating they are the same as this is clearly not the case merely that intuition leads me to believe that Black Holes can be the physical subject we require to truly understand the origins of U.

As always we await grand unification!

Cbray said:

Well if YOU (a freely falling observer) fell past the event horizon of a black hole, you wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary. In fact, you would have to be quite clever to discover you'd even passed the event horizon at all! (Other than potential tidal forces, but we'll assume that those are small enough so that you can't feel it).

A black hole is a well known consequence of well known physics. The BB 'singularity' is a horse of a different color. It's like comparing apples to pineapples and concluding they must somehow be related. If you start with the premise infinity = 1/0, the error is merely compounded by deducing infinity x 0 = 1.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
A black hole is a well known consequence of well known physics. The BB 'singularity' is a horse of a different color. It's like comparing apples to pineapples and concluding they must somehow be related. If you start with the premise infinity = 1/0, the error is merely compounded by deducing infinity x 0 = 1.

A well known consequence of well known physics with an eventually "impossibly" predicted outcome of a singularity as eventually well known physics and GR fails? I fail to see the point you are making; I acknowledge they are not the same, but some of the environmental conditions are very similar? After all a banana and pineapple are related - theyre both fruit! I am not being flippant just looking for more understanding.

Thanks in advance

Related to Black Holes Schwarzschild radius

1. What is a Schwarzschild radius?

A Schwarzschild radius, named after the German physicist Karl Schwarzschild, is the radius of the event horizon of a non-rotating black hole. It represents the point of no return for any object or light that gets too close to the black hole.

2. How is the Schwarzschild radius calculated?

The Schwarzschild radius is calculated using the formula Rs = 2GM/c2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. What is the significance of the Schwarzschild radius?

The Schwarzschild radius is significant because it marks the boundary of the event horizon, the point beyond which the gravitational pull of the black hole is so strong that not even light can escape. It also determines the size of a black hole and is used to classify different types of black holes.

4. Can the Schwarzschild radius change?

No, the Schwarzschild radius is a fixed value that is determined by the mass of the black hole. It cannot change unless the mass of the black hole changes.

5. Can anything escape from within the Schwarzschild radius?

No, nothing can escape from within the Schwarzschild radius as it represents the point of no return for anything entering the black hole. The gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape, making it impossible for any object or information to escape.