BH Magnetization Curve problem

In summary, Joe was trying to solve a homework problem and was getting lost. He found that he needed to use magnetization curves and magnetization reciprocity to figure out the relative permeability of the core. He also found that the air gap created a high mmf drop across it.
JoeMarsh2017

Homework Statement

upload_2017-1-15_10-44-6.png

Homework Equations

Reluctance = small "L"/mu*A

The Attempt at a Solution

I went the route of using B/H=Mu ...since we know that B=1.2Tesla's and Mu=4pi*10^-7 we arrive at our "magnetic field intensity "H" as 954,929.7 H"

BUT if I am trying to find Reluctance... then we have to consider the air gap...Im getting lost because the mean length would small "L" + air gap? Right?

This should be so simple but I am missing something...
Utilizing the magnetization curve is also confusing for me..see picture
upload_2017-1-15_10-53-11.png

Thanks for your help in advance, I am stuck, willing to ask for help, and I want to learn!

JOE[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
We also have
upload_2017-1-15_10-56-10.png

JoeMarsh2017 said:
We also have View attachment 111613
Hi Joe.. Welcome to PF!

You can get the value of relative permeability of the core for B=1.2T from the magnetization graph.
Once you have the relative permeability of the core, all you need to do is simplify the magnetic circuit.

upload_2017-1-15_10-53-11-png.111612.png

I think then, if I go across from 1.2T, the Relative Perm = 6000 ?

JoeMarsh2017 said:
upload_2017-1-15_10-53-11-png.111612.png

I think then, if I go across from 1.2T, the Relative Perm = 6000 ?
Yes.

Likes JoeMarsh2017
Ok..So that means MUr=Mu/Mu(zero) = 6000/4pi*10^-7 =4.712x10^-4 which = Mu
*A
I can now go into my Reluctance formula Fancy "R" =small "L" / Mu*A to figure my Reluctance for the core

then-
Lcore - 52cm which converts to 0.0052 m/4.712x10^-4 x 0.0018 = 0.001986 Reluctance of Lcore
Lgap -14cm which converts to 0.0014 m/4.712x10^-4 x .0018 = 0.005348 Reluctance of Lgap

Add them together for Total series Reluctance = 0.001986+0.005348 = 0.007334 Total Reluctance

flux x reluctance= number of turns x current

flux x reluctance/number of turns =current

Then I know the current

once I know the current, I can multiply against the 64 ohms resistance to tell me the voltage across the gap?
In my head this seems way too easy!
JOE

OK=nexy questions, now my brain wheels are turning...

Since this magnetic circuit is a series circuit, is the gap creating a Positive top part of the core, and a negative bottom part of the core! This would explain why the voltage drop is across the gap.. Am I right?

JOE

JoeMarsh2017 said:
once I know the current, I can multiply against the 64 ohms resistance to tell me the voltage across the gap? **voltage of the battery** There's no voltage across the gap.
In my head this seems way too easy!
JOE
Right.
JoeMarsh2017 said:
OK=nexy questions, now my brain wheels are turning...

Since this magnetic circuit is a series circuit, is the gap creating a Positive top part of the core, and a negative bottom part of the core! This would explain why the voltage **mmf** drop is across the gap.. Am I right?

JOE
Right. You can see that the mmf drop Φxs is very high across the air gap.

I see.. Yes Voltage is the Battery "E" which is applied across the winding's at 64 Ohms..

The question for the problem=
upload_2017-1-15_13-45-25.png

Since I know the current now, and I have the resistance, I now know the voltage at the battery

JoeMarsh2017 said:
I see.. Yes Voltage is the Battery "E" which is applied across the winding's at 64 Ohms..

The question for the problem=View attachment 111615
Since I know the current now, and I have the resistance, I now know the voltage at the battery
Right.
I didn't check your earlier calculations but your steps are all correct. Check the reluctance values again. I think air gap reluctance should be very high.

Likes JoeMarsh2017
upload_2017-1-15_14-23-29.png

JoeMarsh2017 said:
That doesn't look right. Voltage and current are too small.
JoeMarsh2017 said:
Ok..So that means MUr=Mu/Mu(zero) = 6000/4pi*10^-7 =4.712x10^-4 which = Mu
*A
No. You should use the absolute permittivity μ, which is μ0μr.
This was making your reluctances very small.

JoeMarsh2017 said:
We also have View attachment 111613
First thing is to realize that the permeabilty of space is << any permeability in your iron or whatever your core comprises. So compute the reluctance of the air gap, then flux x reluctance = mmf = Hi.

If they want you to include the effects of finite core reluctance, shame on them! :smile:

Related to BH Magnetization Curve problem

1. What is a BH Magnetization Curve problem?

A BH Magnetization Curve problem is a term used in physics and engineering to describe the relationship between the magnetic field strength (H) and the magnetic flux density (B) of a magnetic material. It is also known as a hysteresis loop or magnetization curve.

2. How is a BH Magnetization Curve obtained?

A BH Magnetization Curve is obtained by measuring the magnetic flux density (B) at different levels of magnetic field strength (H) in a magnetic material. This data is then plotted on a graph, with B on the y-axis and H on the x-axis, to create the hysteresis loop.

3. What does a BH Magnetization Curve show?

A BH Magnetization Curve shows the magnetic properties of a material, such as its magnetic permeability and coercivity. It also indicates the amount of energy required to magnetize and demagnetize the material, known as hysteresis loss.

4. Why is the BH Magnetization Curve important?

The BH Magnetization Curve is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials and their applications in various industries, such as in motors, generators, and transformers. It also helps in selecting the most suitable material for a specific magnetic application.

5. How does temperature affect the BH Magnetization Curve?

Temperature can affect the BH Magnetization Curve by changing the magnetic properties of a material. For example, an increase in temperature can decrease the coercivity of a material, making it easier to magnetize and demagnetize. This effect is known as thermal demagnetization.