Best way to create DC HV of millions of volts

• Thread starter jim_990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc Volts
In summary, the best approach to creating a source of several hundred thousand volts DC or greater would be to use a voltage multiplier and a high-voltage power source, while maximizing current output. Friction-based systems are inefficient and using an AC to DC conversion at high voltages is difficult. However, using a multi Wimhurst disk set powered by a small RC engine or an electric motor could also be an option. Other sources of high-voltage DC, such as Pellettrons, could also be considered. It is important to ensure balance and proper setup of the Wimhurst disks for optimal performance.
jim_990
i need to create a source of several hundred thousand volts DC or greater, what would be the best approach to do this in DC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the output specs? How much current & power? Who you going to zap?! :eek:

tis okay, problem sorted, thanks though, using voltage multiplier & HV power source, need as much current as possible you see & turning AC to DC at HV is difficult, & friction based systems seem inefficient-not zapping anyone except myself maybe, just for charging capacitors, am intereted in these 'crazy' gravitomagnetic experiments

jim_990 said:
tis okay, problem sorted, thanks though, using voltage multiplier & HV power source, need as much current as possible you see & turning AC to DC at HV is difficult, & friction based systems seem inefficient-not zapping anyone except myself maybe, just for charging capacitors, am intereted in these 'crazy' gravitomagnetic experiments

Try building a multi wimhurst disk set ran by a little 4 stroke RC engine used in model airplanes. .049 cu. in. to 1.2 cu. in. (80cc to 20cc)

You can increase the RPMs of the Wimhurst disks by attaching an RC transmission to the engine.

Build the Wimhurst disks from round and balanced PC Board and setup the Wimhursts with thin stainless steel plates glued on by industrial epoxy, You can use the RC's Magneto to charge the Wimhurst plates to generate your charge potentials alone with any additional circuitries.

Must be very balanced and is rather noisy.

Electric motor driven Wimhurst disks is another option.

Pellettrons are another good source of High voltage DC.

This is the only advice I have to offer.

Related to Best way to create DC HV of millions of volts

1. How can I create a DC high voltage of millions of volts?

Creating a DC high voltage of millions of volts requires a specialized power supply known as a voltage multiplier. This device uses a series of capacitors and diodes to increase the voltage in incremental steps. The number of stages in the multiplier determines the final voltage output.

2. What materials are needed to create a DC high voltage of millions of volts?

In addition to a voltage multiplier, you will also need high voltage capacitors, high voltage diodes, and a high voltage transformer. These components must be rated for the desired voltage and current to ensure safe and efficient operation.

3. Is it dangerous to work with high voltage equipment?

Yes, it is very dangerous to work with high voltage equipment. Any voltage above 50 volts can be potentially lethal, and a DC high voltage of millions of volts can be extremely hazardous. It is crucial to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective gear when working with high voltage equipment.

4. Can I use a DC power supply to create a high voltage of millions of volts?

No, a regular DC power supply is not capable of producing a high voltage of millions of volts. The voltage output of a DC power supply is limited by its design and components. A voltage multiplier is necessary to achieve such high voltages.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a voltage multiplier to create a DC high voltage of millions of volts?

There are several risks associated with using a voltage multiplier, such as electric shock, burns, and equipment damage. It is essential to have a thorough understanding of high voltage safety and proper training before attempting to build or use a voltage multiplier. Additionally, regular maintenance and testing of the equipment are necessary to ensure safe operation.