Best Way to Combine High V Low I and Low V High I

• Thread starter aeonova
  • Start date
In summary, there is a need to combine two generator systems with different voltage and current aspects for a hybrid-summed output. The goal is to increase the overall output of the alternator system by combining the two outputs, which can be rectified or altered. However, there have been difficulties with using op-amp solutions for this task. Suggestions and experiences from others are appreciated and there is a hiring opportunity available. One potential solution could be using transformers with matching voltage and capacity ratings to connect the two generator outputs together.
aeonova
Hi All -

We've got two generator systems that need to be combined for a hybrid-summed output.
One is a standard alternator gen-set with low-medium V and high I... the other is a high V low I system...
The outputs can be rectified or otherwise altered. But the goal is to increase the overall output of the alternator system by said combination.
Combination of the two is the goal...

We've had trouble with op-amp solutions. Anyone with a suggestion or experience would be appreciated. And we're hiring ;)

Thanks all and Godspeed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
aeonova said:
Hi All -

We've got two generator systems that need to be combined for a hybrid-summed output.Both AC?
One is a standard alternator gen-set with low-medium V and high I... the other is a high V low I system...
The outputs can be rectified or otherwise altered.What do you mean? But the goal is to increase the overall output of the alternator system by said combination.What do you mean? Increase the overall output of what?
Combination of the two is the goal...

We've had trouble with op-amp solutions. Anyone with a suggestion or experience would be appreciated. And we're hiring ;)

Thanks all and Godspeed ;)

How is op-amp come into the picture? You have two generator assume to be AC. Then you said it can be rectified. So it become DC and add together. The output is the addition of two DC voltages. So what is the op-amp for.

I have no idea what you are trying to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Yungman -

Thanks for the reply... Sorry for being vague. I'm asking what's the best method of adding two generator outputs, let's say two DC gen outputs, very different voltage and current aspects.
Your input on this is valuable... simply... take two DC electric outputs... one has high voltage and low current... one is high voltage and low current.. what's the best method of combining the two for an overall summed high V high I output?

Thanks again...

Toss the op-amps and AC... DC just makes it easier..

I don't think you can get high V and high I from one that is high V and low I with one that is low V and high I!

That is my big confusion. You only can sum the two voltage, but the current capability is equal to the low current one. The low current is the gating one.

Am I missing something?

Eg. If you put a 1000V 1mA supply in series with a 5V 1A supply. You get 1005V, but you can only draw 1mA. You draw over that, you either burn the 1000V supply or the voltage will collapse.

Op-amp is not going to help in any sense.

Last edited:
Have you considered building an inverter to step up the lower voltage to the same voltage as the higher voltage supply? You may want to consider isolating the supplies with forward biased diodes but they may not be necessary.

Use Transformers Immediately after each Alternator. The Primary Voltage Rating of the Transformers should equal the Alternator Generation Voltage. Their Capacity (KVA) should match the Alternator Capacity.
Secondary Voltage rating of both transformer should be equal, so that they can be connected together.

Related to Best Way to Combine High V Low I and Low V High I

1. What is the difference between high voltage and low voltage?

High voltage refers to electricity that has a larger potential difference between two points, while low voltage refers to electricity with a smaller potential difference. This means that high voltage electricity has a greater amount of energy and is more dangerous than low voltage electricity.

2. Why is it important to combine high voltage and low voltage?

Combining high and low voltage can create a balanced electrical system. High voltage is necessary for long-distance transmission of electricity, while low voltage is safer and more efficient for use in homes and businesses. By combining the two, we can take advantage of the benefits of both types of electricity.

3. How can high voltage and low voltage be safely combined?

There are several ways to safely combine high and low voltage. One method is through the use of transformers, which can convert high voltage electricity to lower voltage levels. Another method is through the use of voltage regulators, which can adjust the voltage levels as needed. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and regulations when working with high and low voltage electricity.

4. What are the potential risks of combining high voltage and low voltage?

One potential risk is electrical shock, as high voltage electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly. There is also a risk of equipment failure if the combination of high and low voltage is not properly regulated. It is important to have a thorough understanding of electrical systems and safety measures when working with high and low voltage.

5. How can combining high voltage and low voltage benefit the scientific community?

Combining high and low voltage can lead to more efficient and reliable electrical systems. This can benefit scientific research by providing a stable and consistent source of electricity for experiments and equipment. It can also help reduce energy waste and costs, making it a more sustainable option for scientific endeavors.