Besicovitch Covering Lemma

• MHB
  • Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof in Real Analysis that involves a collection of cubes covering a set E in R^n. The goal is to show that there is a countable subcollection of these cubes that covers E and includes the middle sections of the original cover. The set E is unbounded, so the idea is to take layers of cubes that are about the same size and a maximal set of points in E that are a specific distance apart. However, there were some flaws in this approach and further modifications were suggested.
ArcanaNoir
Let {Q} be a collection of cubes covering a set E in R^n. Prove that there is a countable sub collection {Q}' of these cubes which covers E and [tex] \cup {\frac{1}{2}Q} \subseteq \cup {Q}' [/tex], and the number of cubes in the subcollection containing any given point of E is less than something depending only on the dimension.
Oh and the sup of the side lengths of the cubes is bounded, but E is not bounded.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}Q [/tex] means the cube inside Q with side length 1/2 of the side length of Q.
In other words, the countable subcovering needs to cover the middle sections of the original cover.

I really like this proof Real Analysis - Emmanuele DiBenedetto - Google Books

But in this proof the set E is the centers of the cubes, so we only end up covering centers, not middle halves, and also E is bounded in that proof. My professor said I could modify this proof but I don't see how. *sad face* He also said the first half of my most recent attempt at this proof was badly written and the second half was worse. :(:(

The idea for dealing with the unbounded set E is to take "layers" of cubes which are about the same size. So something like sup{S(Q)}=R where S(Q) is the side length of Q and then [tex](1-\epsilon)^kR< S(Q)\le R[/tex] for the first layer, then take a maximal set of points in E which are some specific distance apart (this is a piece I messed up on, no matter what distance I separate my points by there is always some flaw in my choice). Then take the cubes containing those points and discard some cubes (which ones?). Rinse and repeat.

I tried doing some optimal arrangement of separated points around a specific point for the bound, but I was told I did that wrong too :( (that was the "worse" part apparently.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I see you've set your thread to SOLVED.
Did you get inspiration then? :rolleyes:

Related to Besicovitch Covering Lemma

What is the Besicovitch Covering Lemma?

The Besicovitch Covering Lemma is a powerful tool in the field of geometric measure theory. It states that given any set in n-dimensional Euclidean space, there exists a cover of the set by countably many balls with a controlled overlap. This lemma is often used to prove results in measure theory and geometric analysis.

Who discovered the Besicovitch Covering Lemma?

The Besicovitch Covering Lemma was discovered by Abram Samoilovich Besicovitch, a Russian mathematician, in the early 20th century. He first published this lemma in 1929 in the Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society.

What is the significance of the Besicovitch Covering Lemma?

The Besicovitch Covering Lemma has many applications in geometric measure theory, particularly in the study of fractals and sets with irregular boundaries. It has also been used to prove significant results in other areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and probability theory.

Can the Besicovitch Covering Lemma be extended to other spaces besides Euclidean space?

Yes, the Besicovitch Covering Lemma has been extended to other metric spaces, such as Banach spaces and locally compact metric spaces. These extensions have been used to prove results in abstract analysis, such as the study of abstract measures and integration.

Are there any variations of the Besicovitch Covering Lemma?

Yes, there are several variations of the Besicovitch Covering Lemma that have been developed over time. Some variations include the Vitali Covering Theorem, the Whitney Covering Lemma, and the Marstrand-Mattila Covering Theorem. These variations have been used in various fields of mathematics and have helped to further develop the theory of geometric measure.