Bending Light? – Questions & Answers

In summary, energy creates gravity, adding energy to an object will increase its gravitational pull, which will affect photons and bend their path. Spiraling light around an accelerating object is not possible with the available technology.
Keystone
Hi , so , i am not asking this question for invisibility or anything like that, but i do have a few questions. First off, i know that photons have no charge, but is there any way that electro magnetic pulses can effect their path when the copper coils that make the electro magnet are at very high energies. also, is there any effect on the path of a photon when there is a giant amount of energy in an object. and also with this, is there any way to spiral the light around an excellerating object? i know this next part sort of goes into the section of quantum physics, but with a quantum hole ( micro black hole ) can one be used to bend light ? thanks!
-Nate

Science news on Phys.org
Keystone said:
First off, i know that photons have no charge, but is there any way that electro magnetic pulses can effect their path when the copper coils that make the electro magnet are at very high energies.

Nope. An EMP is simply a large burst of EM radiation. So you'd have two (or more) EM waves passing through each other, neither of which will affect the other.

Keystone said:
also, is there any effect on the path of a photon when there is a giant amount of energy in an object. and also with this, is there any way to spiral the light around an excellerating object?

Energy creates gravity, so adding energy to an object, by whatever means, will increase its gravitational pull, which will affect photons and bend their path. You don't even need a giant amount of energy to do this. A little bit will bend light's path slightly, just not enough to be noticeable without very precise measuring instruments.

I don't know of any way to spiral light around an accelerating object.

Keystone said:
i know this next part sort of goes into the section of quantum physics, but with a quantum hole ( micro black hole ) can one be used to bend light ?

Assuming light passes close to it before it evaporates, sure.

Drakkith said:
Nope. An EMP is simply a large burst of EM radiation. So you'd have two (or more) EM waves passing through each other, neither of which will affect the other.
Energy creates gravity, so adding energy to an object, by whatever means, will increase its gravitational pull, which will affect photons and bend their path. You don't even need a giant amount of energy to do this. A little bit will bend light's path slightly, just not enough to be noticeable without very precise measuring instruments.

I don't know of any way to spiral light around an accelerating object.
Assuming light passes close to it before it evaporates, sure.
Thank you !

Related to Bending Light? – Questions & Answers

1. What is bending light?

Bending light, also known as refraction, is the change in direction of a light ray as it passes through a different medium with a different optical density.

2. Why does light bend?

Light bends because it travels at different speeds in different mediums. When it passes from one medium to another, its speed changes, causing it to bend.

3. What causes light to bend at different angles?

The amount of bending, or angle of refraction, is determined by the difference in optical density between the two mediums. The greater the difference, the greater the bending.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the bending of light?

The shape of an object can affect the bending of light because it can alter the angle at which the light enters and exits the object. For example, a curved lens can focus light to a point, while a flat surface will reflect light at the same angle it entered.

5. What are some practical applications of bending light?

Bending light has many practical applications, such as in the lenses of glasses and cameras, fiber optic communication, and the formation of rainbows. It is also used in various scientific instruments, such as microscopes and telescopes.