Beginner Question About Series Parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if two elements are in series or parallel. It is stated that if two elements share two extraordinary nodes, they are in parallel. The process of finding RThevenin is also explained, which involves short-circuiting the voltage source and redrawing the circuit. The correct way to represent the circuit is shown and the reason for R3 being in series with (R1 || R2) is explained. The conversation also mentions that elements can be both in series and parallel at the same time, as seen in a simple circuit with a battery and lightbulb.
dlacombe13
How exactly do you tell if two elements are in series or parallel? I know that if two elements share two of the same extraordinary nodes then they are in parallel:
dcc390ca-f757-461c-8b72-f05ffcdab258_zpspyyb4l1g.png

But in this example I do not see that. I know for certain that the answer for Rt is:
[ ( (R1 || R2) + R3) || R4 ] + R5

27d5b21a-409c-4061-8986-7477e0735f50_zpskdnedivc.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
To find RThevenin you must short-circuit the voltage source. Do that and redraw. See if things make sense then.

Oh okay, that makes sense now, it would look like this:
seriesparallel_zpslo5erpld.png

And so the reason R3 is in series with (R1 || R2 ) is because they do not share the same two extraordinary nodes, right?

The drawing is not quite right. You are showing that R1 is being "shorted out" which is not the case. When you short the voltage source, you simply replace it with a wire.

You are right about why R3 is in series with R1||R2.

Here's what I mean about your drawing:
Code:
 +--R1---+--...
 |       |
 |       |
(|)      R2
 |       |
 |       |
 +-------+--...

Which is the same as:

+-------+--...
 |       |
 |       |
 R1      R2
 |       |
 |       |
 +-------+--...

Right, that makes sense, here is my drawing now, which I think is correct:
seriesparallel_zps9r7wnvra.png

So in this drawing, the reason R3 is in series with (R1 || R4) and then that whole quantity (enclosed in the box) is parallel with R4 since they both share the Green and Blue nodes. R5 is then in series with all of this since it does not share any other nodes with the circuit other than the Green one.

Instead of "(R1 || R4)", you mean to say (R1 || R2).

Other than that, you are correct!

dlacombe13 said:
How exactly do you tell if two elements are in series or parallel?

If all the current that flows through one of them MUST flow through the other one too, they are in series. Current through them is the same.

If they are solidly connected together at both ends, they are in parallel. Voltage across them is the same.

Note that it is possible for them to be both in series and in parallel at the same time.
Draw yourself the simple circuit consisting of just a battery and lightbulb. It meets both those criteria.

old jim

Likes lewando
dlacombe13 said:
How exactly do you tell if two elements are in series or parallel?
But in this example I do not see that. I know for certain that the answer for Rt is:
[ ( (R1 || R2) + R3) || R4 ] + R5

27d5b21a-409c-4061-8986-7477e0735f50_zpskdnedivc.png

Please note that in this example both resistors R1 and R2 appear in parallel because it was your task to find the total resistance while looking into the circuit from the output.
The situation is quite different for the total input resistance of the circuit as measured at the + node of the battery.
In this case we have Rin=R1 + [(R3+R4)||R2]
The resistor R5 has no influence as long as the output nodes are not loaded by any other resistor.

Related to Beginner Question About Series Parallel

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another in a single path, creating a single loop for the current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch simultaneously.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series parallel circuit, you first need to determine the individual resistances of each component. For components in series, simply add their resistances together. For components in parallel, use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3 are the individual resistances. Once you have the individual resistances, you can add them together to get the total resistance.

3. Can I have both series and parallel components in the same circuit?

Yes, you can have both series and parallel components in the same circuit. This is known as a series parallel circuit. In this type of circuit, some components are connected in series while others are connected in parallel.

4. What is the purpose of using series parallel circuits?

Series parallel circuits are commonly used in electronic devices because they allow for more complex circuits to be created with a combination of series and parallel components. This allows for a wider range of functions and capabilities in electronic devices.

5. How do I know if a series parallel circuit is functioning correctly?

To determine if a series parallel circuit is functioning correctly, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. If the measured values match the expected values based on the circuit design, then the circuit is functioning correctly. You can also visually inspect the circuit for any loose connections or damaged components.