Becoming a Teacher: How to Prepare Without Extra Courses

• Thread starter gibberingmouther
  • Start date
In summary: I also found it helpful to do practice problems with my tutor to really help me understand the material. In summary, a teacher should be patient, have an understanding of the material they are teaching, and be able to explain it in a way that is comprehensible to the student.
gibberingmouther
After I finish my bachelor's I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps. I am very good at explaining the knowledge I have and how it is all interconnected, so I think I might be a good teacher - probably a very good teacher but just an ordinary programmer.

Anyway, I don't think I have the cash to take extra education courses but I want to see if I'm cut out for teaching. Any suggestions? I was thinking I could be an SAT prep teacher. Anybody have experience doing that? I brought up my own score from just over 2000 to 2250 at max ... mainly from studying to bring up my math score (which I am proud to say I increased by 160 points - mainly because I went from being disinterested and unmotivated in the subject to motivated).

Likes MidgetDwarf
Science news on Phys.org
Formally teaching is about identifying objectives and designing a lesson plan to reach the objective. You also want to pick some assessment activity along the way to find if your instruction is working; and make an assessment activity at the end of a lesson to find if the lesson did or did not work. The meaning of "objective" is, "what do you want your students to understand and be able to do".

Likes phoenix95 and plasmon_shmasmon
gibberingmouther said:
I was thinking I could be an SAT prep teacher.

Where? On your own or under your own business entity?

If you wish to be employed by another entity as such, then most, if not all, of them want you to have some sort of teaching certification. Don't believe me? Look in Indeed.com.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Where? On your own or under your own business entity?

If you wish to be employed by another entity as such, then most, if not all, of them want you to have some sort of teaching certification. Don't believe me? Look in Indeed.com.

Zz.
Yeah that's what my dad told me after I tried applying for such a position.

gibberingmouther said:
After I finish my bachelor's I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps. I am very good at explaining the knowledge I have and how it is all interconnected, so I think I might be a good teacher - probably a very good teacher but just an ordinary programmer.

Anyway, I don't think I have the cash to take extra education courses but I want to see if I'm cut out for teaching. Any suggestions? I was thinking I could be an SAT prep teacher. Anybody have experience doing that? I brought up my own score from just over 2000 to 2250 at max ... mainly from studying to bring up my math score (which I am proud to say I increased by 160 points - mainly because I went from being disinterested and unmotivated in the subject to motivated).
A few ideas:

• Formal teacher-certification program, from an education department at your or other university
  • Find or try finding a job as a tutor - Math, Sciences, or whatever you best understand and can teach or believe you could teach
  • Enter a community-based volunteer tutor program for Literacy, E.S.L., or Basic Math/Arithmetic (in which you would likely be trained, first)

Check out this Institute of Physics website for new teachers.

http://www.iop.org/education/ltp/index.html

I recommend the advice of Rabbi Hillel: "a shy man cannot learn and an impatient man cannot teach." so learn patience. to repeat, many of us think we can explain things clearly, but then we don't know what to do when a student still does not get it, even after the most meticulous explanation.

Likes phoenix95, gmax137 and gleem
A website has just come to my attention that perhaps all teachers should check out. It is by Norman Eng. Author of "Teaching College". and asst. professor of childhood education at the City University of New York. http://normaneng.org/

His blog gives many interesting suggestions and strategies for successful teaching at all levels.especially for today's students.

Here in a interview of Norman Eng .http://teachlikeachampion.com/blog/teaching-college-interview-norman-eng/

Likes gibberingmouther
gibberingmouther said:

What helped me a lot in regards to being a better communicator of information was something called SI Program.
What SI stands for is Supplementary Instruction. Most major universities have an SI program on campus. I would give more info but I am too lazy to do so. But make a quick google.

My school payed me 20 bucks and hour plus free class. So it can be a better financial decision than Peace Corps.

Related to Becoming a Teacher: How to Prepare Without Extra Courses

1. How can I become a teacher without taking extra courses?

There are a few different paths you can take to become a teacher without taking extra courses. One option is to apply for an alternative certification program, which typically involves completing coursework and passing exams while working as a teacher. Another option is to become a substitute teacher and gain experience in the classroom while working towards a teaching certification. Additionally, some states offer “grow your own” programs that allow individuals to work as paraprofessionals or teacher assistants while completing a teaching degree.

2. Can I become a teacher with a degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to become a teacher with a degree in a different field. Many states offer alternative certification programs for individuals with a bachelor’s degree in a subject other than education. These programs typically require completion of coursework and passing exams, as well as working as a teacher while completing the program.

3. What skills or qualifications do I need to become a teacher?

To become a teacher, you will need a combination of education, experience, and skills. Most states require a bachelor’s degree in education or a related field, as well as completion of a teacher preparation program. Additionally, you will need to pass state-specific exams and meet any other requirements, such as a background check. Having strong communication, organizational, and leadership skills is also important for success as a teacher.

4. How can I gain experience as a teacher before getting a teaching job?

One way to gain experience as a teacher before getting a job is to volunteer or work as a substitute teacher. You can also look for opportunities to work with children in other settings, such as after-school programs or summer camps. Another option is to participate in a teacher preparation or alternative certification program, which may include student teaching or other hands-on experience in the classroom.

5. What is the best way to prepare for a teaching career?

The best way to prepare for a teaching career is to gain a strong understanding of the subject you wish to teach, as well as the principles of education and child development. This can be achieved through a combination of education, experience, and self-study. It is also important to stay up-to-date on teaching methods and techniques by attending workshops, conferences, and professional development opportunities. Additionally, gaining experience working with children, either through volunteering or paid positions, can provide valuable insights and skills for a teaching career.