Bearing loads for roller skates or skateboards

In summary, the load ratings for a deep groove roller bearing for use in a roller skate would likely be 100kg x 9.8 m/s2 / 4 (2 bearings per wheel, with only one set of wheels on the ground) * 2 (possible landing). The Axial load should be 25% of the radial load. However, shock loading during jumps with hard landings may result in a much higher dynamic load.
adamjbradley
I'm trying to determine load ratings for a deep groove roller bearing for use in a roller skate. I suspect I'll be looking at 100kg x 9.8N / 4 (2 bearings per wheel, likely only every to have a single set of wheels, front or back - 4 bearings - on the ground) * 2 (but this could be a landing!) for the Radial and I *think* Axial load should be 25% of that rating.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

1440303205458-71279.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shock loading will be significant for jumps with hard landings .

That will do for the static load but the dynamic load can be much, much greater:

(your units don't make sense by the way, the 9.8N should be 9.8 m/s2 )

Related to Bearing loads for roller skates or skateboards

What is the purpose of bearing loads for roller skates or skateboards?

The purpose of bearing loads is to provide smooth rotation and movement for the wheels of roller skates or skateboards. Bearings reduce friction between the wheel and axle, allowing for easier movement and better performance.

What types of bearings are commonly used for roller skates or skateboards?

The most common type of bearings used for roller skates and skateboards are ABEC (Annular Bearing Engineering Committee) bearings. These bearings are rated on a scale from 1 to 9, with higher numbers indicating a tighter tolerance and smoother rotation.

How do I know when it's time to replace my bearings?

There are a few signs that indicate it may be time to replace your bearings. These include a decrease in speed or performance, a grinding or rattling sound coming from the wheels, or visible damage to the bearings such as rust or cracks.

What is the proper maintenance for bearings on roller skates or skateboards?

Proper maintenance for bearings includes regularly cleaning and lubricating them. This helps to remove dirt and debris that can cause friction and wear down the bearings. It is also important to regularly check for any damage or wear and replace bearings as needed.

Can I mix and match bearings on my roller skates or skateboards?

No, it is not recommended to mix and match bearings on your roller skates or skateboards. This can lead to uneven wear and affect the performance of the wheels. It is best to use the same type and rating of bearings on all wheels.