Beam problem finding max bending stress

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum bending stress while using the diameter of the beam. The person realizes they need to include the diameter of the beam in their calculations and asks for guidance on what to do differently compared to drawing bending moment diagrams. The other person confirms that the reactions are correct, but the diameter comes into play when calculating the maximum stress at the point of maximum moment. They also question why the moments would be different if the shaft was of a different diameter and ask if the person knows how to calculate bending stresses.
Resa
Alright so I drew it out like did the reactions and everything then I realized I need to include the diameter of the beam. How do I find the max bending stress while using the diameter of the beam? All I need to know is what exactly I do differently compared to drawing the bending moment diagrams with that 2 and 1/2 inch diameter.

Attachments

• beam prob.png
    beam prob.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
Without including I got R1 to be 50 and R2 to be 650..

Reactions look good. The diameter comes into play when calculating max stress at point of max moment. Why would the moments be different if the shaft was of a different diameter? Do you know how to calculate bending stresses?

Related to Beam problem finding max bending stress

1. What is a beam problem?

A beam problem is a type of engineering problem that involves calculating the maximum bending stress of a beam under a given load. It is typically used to determine the structural integrity of a beam and ensure it can withstand the expected forces and loads placed upon it.

2. How do you find the maximum bending stress of a beam?

To find the maximum bending stress of a beam, you first need to determine the maximum bending moment and the section modulus of the beam. Then, you can use the formula sigma = M*c/I, where sigma is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam. Plug in the values and solve for sigma to find the maximum bending stress.

3. What factors can affect the maximum bending stress of a beam?

The maximum bending stress of a beam can be affected by several factors, including the type of loading (e.g. point load, distributed load), the magnitude of the load, the type of support (e.g. fixed, pinned), the type of beam (e.g. cantilever, simply supported), and the material properties of the beam (e.g. modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia).

4. Why is finding the maximum bending stress important?

Finding the maximum bending stress of a beam is important because it helps engineers determine if the beam is strong enough to withstand the expected forces and loads placed upon it. If the maximum bending stress exceeds the yield strength of the material, the beam may fail and lead to structural damage or collapse.

5. How is beam deflection related to maximum bending stress?

Beam deflection and maximum bending stress are closely related. As the bending stress increases, the beam will begin to deflect or bend. The maximum bending stress occurs at the point of maximum deflection, which is typically at the center of the beam. By calculating the maximum bending stress, engineers can also determine the deflection of the beam and ensure it is within acceptable limits.