Basic thermodynamic chemistry, heat transfer

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of steam at 100 deg Celcius needed to raise the temperature of 35.8 g solid benzene from 5.5 deg Celcius to 45.0 deg Celcius. The heat lost by the steam is equal to the heat gained by the benzene, and the heat lost is calculated using the equation Qlost = moleswater×ΔHvap + mwater×Cwater×(45-100). The final temperature of the water is assumed to be 100 deg Celcius.
qpham26

Homework Statement

How many grams of steam at 100 deg. Celcius would be required to raise the temperature of 35.8 g solid benzene from 5.5 deg Celcius to 45.0 deg Celcius?
Assume that heat is only transferred from the steam (not the liquid water) and that the steam/water and benzene are separated by a glass wall and do not mix.

Homework Equations

Boiling point of benzene 5.5 C
Δfus of benzen is 9.87 kJ/mol
Specific heat of benzene is 1.63 J/g.C and 4.18 for water
ΔHvap for steam at 100 C is 40.7 kJ/mol

im not sure about this part, since i can't find it in my book.

so the total heat of the system Qtotal =0= Qgained+Qlost
or Qgained = -Qlost

Qgained = molesbenzen ×ΔH+mbenzen×Cbenzen×(45-5.5)

Qlost = moleswater×ΔHvap + mwater×C×water×(45-100)

The Attempt at a Solution

So it seem like my equation above are wrong
because m comes out as a negative value, which made no sense.
I am pretty sure I got the heat gained correct.
I just uncertain about the heat lost of the steam.

Please give me some help.
Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wording is confusing. I guess you have to assume water vapor cooled down to 100 deg C and condensed, but the final temperature of water was 100 deg C.

it is the exact wording from the book, and this is just general chemistry, so I don't think there is any complexity in the problem.

so for the heat lost part, if the final temperature is 100 then the initial is 45?
and still, if it is (100-45) based on the above equation I cannot get m as a positive value?

Oops, sorry, there is no cooling of the vapor, only condensation.

So what should I do with this problem now?
Is my equation correct?
or should it be Qgained = Qlost instead?

Just leave the mcΔT part for water.

What about the negative sign in the equation Qgained = -Qlost
Should it be there?
even though we take out the mcΔT of water, with the negative sign, the answer still comes out to be negative =(

This sign thing can be confusing, as it can be done in many ways. What is important is to not mix conventions and stick to one. Sorry, no time to give more elaborate explanation now.

Good thing is usually when you mix conventions you get a nonsense result, which makes it easy to spot something is wrong. Negative mass is a sure sign something went wrong.

Related to Basic thermodynamic chemistry, heat transfer

1. What is thermodynamic chemistry?

Thermodynamic chemistry is the study of the relationship between heat and other forms of energy in chemical reactions and processes. It involves the use of laws and principles of thermodynamics to understand and predict the behavior of chemical systems.

2. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will always be lost as heat. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystalline substance at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a temperature difference. It can occur through three mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. In chemistry, heat transfer is important in understanding the energetics of reactions and how they occur.

4. How does heat affect chemical reactions?

Heat can affect chemical reactions in several ways. It can provide the energy needed to break bonds and initiate a reaction, or it can increase the rate of a reaction by increasing the kinetic energy of the reactant molecules. Heat can also be released or absorbed during a reaction, affecting its enthalpy and entropy.

5. What is the difference between endothermic and exothermic reactions?

An endothermic reaction is a reaction that absorbs heat from its surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature. This type of reaction requires an input of energy to occur. On the other hand, an exothermic reaction releases heat into its surroundings, causing an increase in temperature. These reactions typically release energy as they occur.