Basic Electronics Help with Testing Circuits for Niles

In summary, Niles is not an electrical engineering student and needs help understanding basic electrical concepts. He has provided a circuit and has questions about how to test it with a multimeter. He also has questions about the MOSFET in the circuit and provided two different datasheets for reference.
Niles
Hi

First I would like to say that I am not an electrical engineering student. I study physics, and unfortunately I lack a lot of basic electrical know-how. I know the theory behind e.g. a low-pass/high-pass filter and stuff like that, but when it comes to implementing things and - specifically - testing that my circuit works, then I fail. My wish is to get better at these things

I have attached an example of a circuit that I found online. Say I have made the circuit, and now I want to test with a multimeter that everything works.

1) In the top right corner is "Supply". If I measure the resistance between "Supply 1" and "Laser diode 1", then I go through 2 resistors in series of 5.6 Ohm, 1 resistor of 39 Ohm in parallel and 1 inductor in series. Assuming that the inductor has no resistance (it is DC, so I guess I can neglegt it?), then is it correct that I would measure something close to R = 5.6Ω + 5.6Ω + 39Ω = 50.2Ω?

2) Say I measure from "Modulation 2" to "Laser diode 2". I have 1 resistor and 4 diodes in parallel with each other + a resistor of 10kΩ in series. The arrow on the diode I guess indicates that I can't go through it. What should I expect to measure here?

I would be very happy to get some feedback.

Niles.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 419
Engineering news on Phys.org
1) You can not simplify just like that. There a MOSFET in there. Depending on the bias on the MOSFET terminals, the voltage at the point between two 5.6Ohm resistance will be different. In that case you can not assume that those two 5.6Ohm resistances are just in series. The current can also flow through the MOSFET drain terminal.

You have to look at the gate bias and determine how much current might flow through the drain.

2) Those four diodes are provided to limit the voltage level at the gate. The 280Ohm resistance limits the current(accidental high current). The two 10K resistance provides the bias voltage of the gate. You should try to measure small signal voltage at the gate.

Thanks. Regarding the MOSFET, then I have found two data sheets:

1) http://www.eng.yale.edu/ee-labs/morse/compo/datasheets/2n5460-d.pdf
2) http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N5460.pdf

They do not tell me the same thing. In (1), leg #1 is S, whereas (2) tells me leg #1 is D. How do I know which one to choose?Niles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of them can be used in any circuits. They just differ in manufacturer. Just recognize the source, drain and gate pin and connect them to the appropriate wire in the circuit.

Hello Niles,

It's great that you are interested in learning more about electronics and testing circuits. I can offer some guidance on testing circuits and understanding the results.

1) Your calculation for the resistance between "Supply 1" and "Laser diode 1" is correct. You are correct in assuming that the inductor can be neglected for DC measurements. However, it's always a good idea to double check the resistance value by measuring it with a multimeter.

2) When measuring from "Modulation 2" to "Laser diode 2", you should expect to measure a resistance value of 10kΩ. This is because the four diodes in parallel will act as one diode with a lower resistance, and the 10kΩ resistor will add to that resistance.

In general, when testing circuits, it's important to have a basic understanding of the components and how they are connected. This will help you make sense of the measurements and troubleshoot any issues that may arise. It's also a good idea to have a circuit diagram or schematic to refer to while testing.

I hope this helps and good luck with your circuit testing!

Related to Basic Electronics Help with Testing Circuits for Niles

1. How do I test if a circuit is working?

The most basic way to test a circuit is by using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the appropriate setting (usually DC voltage) and touch the probes to different points in the circuit to measure the voltage. If there is a reading, the circuit is working.

2. What is the purpose of a circuit tester?

A circuit tester, also known as a continuity tester, is used to determine if a circuit is complete or if there is a break in the circuit. It works by sending a small amount of current through the circuit and indicating if there is a complete path for the current to flow.

3. How do I troubleshoot a faulty circuit?

The first step in troubleshooting a faulty circuit is to visually inspect all components and connections for any obvious damage or loose connections. Then, use a multimeter or circuit tester to test for continuity and voltage at different points in the circuit. This will help identify where the issue may be located.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage is a type of electrical current that periodically switches direction, while DC (direct current) voltage flows in one direction only. AC is commonly used in household electricity, while DC is used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. How do I safely test a circuit?

Before testing a circuit, make sure all power sources are turned off and disconnected. Always wear safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with electrical circuits. Use insulated tools and avoid touching any live wires or components. It is also important to follow proper procedures for testing specific types of circuits, such as high voltage or high current circuits.