B.S. Applied Math to Pure Math Grad?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transferring to Georgia Tech from a Group III school to complete a second bachelor's degree in Applied Math. The individual expresses concern about the lack of a "pure" math degree at GT and how it may impact their future graduate school applications. However, someone with experience in the program reassures them that GT offers all necessary pure math classes, in addition to some computer science courses. This information influences the individual's decision to transfer.
DarrenM
Hello,

I've been pursuing a second bachelor's degree part-time for a while now at a Group III school. I just found out, somewhat unexpectedly, that I might be able to transfer to Georgia Tech (a Group I school) with relative ease to complete my degree as a full-time student.

GT is, without a doubt, a wonderful school. My concern is the fact that GT doesn't actually offer a bachelor's degree in "pure" math; only Applied or Discrete. I've compared GT's Applied Math curriculum (found http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/colleges/cos/math/ugrad/math/bsmath.php ) to a couple of pure math programs at other schools and although there are some differences, they don't seem to be incredibly dramatic.

Still, I'm concerned that if I do transfer to GT and complete the BS in Applied Math that I might be making things more difficult for myself down the line when I apply to Pure Math grad programs.

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did my BS in Applied Math at GT, and I'm about to start a pure math PhD. You're fine. They offer all of the standard pure math classes that any school has. You just have to take some extra computer science and CS-related math classes.

Thanks very much. Your reply, along with a good bit of time reading the course descriptions on the GT site, have really influenced my decision.

Thanks again.

Related to B.S. Applied Math to Pure Math Grad?

1. What is the difference between applied math and pure math?

Applied math is the use of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Pure math, on the other hand, focuses on the abstract study of mathematical structures and concepts, with no immediate practical application.

2. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates with a B.S. in Applied Math to Pure Math?

Graduates with a B.S. in Applied Math to Pure Math have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as finance, data analysis, statistics, computer science, and research. They can also pursue further education in graduate programs in mathematics or related fields.

3. Is a B.S. in Applied Math to Pure Math a good degree for someone interested in research?

Yes, a B.S. in Applied Math to Pure Math is a great degree for those interested in research. Graduates with this degree have a strong mathematical foundation and are well-equipped to conduct research in various fields such as pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and interdisciplinary areas.

4. Can I switch from applied math to pure math during my degree program?

It is possible to switch from applied math to pure math during your degree program, but it depends on your university's policies and requirements. Some universities may allow you to switch majors, while others may require you to complete additional courses or meet certain academic standards.

5. What kind of skills will I gain from a B.S. in Applied Math to Pure Math?

Graduates with a B.S. in Applied Math to Pure Math develop strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. They also gain a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as the ability to apply them to various real-world problems. Additionally, they develop strong communication and teamwork skills through group projects and presentations.