Automate clicks and typing on Windows apps without source code?

kolleamm
I want to create a program that can type and click for me on any Windows app without access to the source code. This would save a lot of time doing boring and repetitive tasks. Is this possible?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The Sendkeys utility is one way to send text to another Windows application. I have not used it in a long time. I remember(?) that you can use tasklist to get the application PID. Then set the focus to that PID. Then you need to use sendkeys to send tabs to move to the desired input box. Then use sendkeys to send the desired text. Some pause between sendkeys is needed.

PS. If the Windows app has command line options for what you want, that is probably much simpler.

Likes kolleamm
kolleamm said:
Lots of good info here, not sure which one to choose, some seem to require knowing class names but I'll check them out, thanks.
When I was doing a lot of this, I made a small C program that took a command-line text in argv and called sendkeys to send it to the Windows application. Then I used a Perl script to do all the work and logic of getting the PID, calling my C program, and pausing between steps.