Automata: Trying to understand how to check if language is regular

In summary: Therefore, our assumption that L is regular must be false. In summary, we have proven that L is not regular by showing that it does not satisfy the pumping lemma.
milena24

Homework Statement

Prove or Disprove L is regular, where
L = {0[tex]^{i}[/tex]1[tex]^{j}[/tex] | (i[tex]^{2}[/tex] + j[tex]^{2}[/tex]) is square}

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using pumping lemma, but I don't know how to assign p if there are two variables (i and j)...

I understand the i[tex]^{2}[/tex] + j[tex]^{2}[/tex] would be like pythagorean theorem, but I cannot relate the pumping lemma given I've been provided two distinct variables...

Can anyone help and guide me? I am not asking for a full solution, instead a bit of a kickstart

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's simplify the language L by considering only the values of i and j that are non-negative integers. This means that i and j can only take on values of 0 or greater.

Now, let's assume that L is regular. This means that there exists a deterministic finite automaton (DFA) that recognizes L.

Let's call this DFA M. M has a finite number of states, let's say n. This means that if we input a string of length n or greater into M, there must be a repeated state in the computation. This is the basis of the pumping lemma.

Now, let's consider the string 0^{n}1^{n}. This string is in L because (n^{2} + n^{2}) = 2n^{2} is a perfect square (specifically, 2n^{2} = (n\sqrt{2})^{2}).

If we input this string into M, there must be a repeated state in the computation. This means that there exists a substring of the form 0^{p}1^{q} such that pumping this substring will still result in a string that is in L.

Let's pump this substring by repeating it k times, where k is a positive integer. This results in the string 0^{p+k}1^{q+k}.

Now, let's consider the value of (p+k)^{2} + (q+k)^{2}. This can be expanded to p^{2} + 2pk + k^{2} + q^{2} + 2qk + k^{2} = (p^{2} + q^{2} + 2k(p+q) + 2k^{2}).

Since p and q are fixed values, (p^{2} + q^{2}) is a perfect square. Additionally, 2k(p+q) is also a perfect square because it is a multiple of 2. This means that (p^{2} + q^{2} + 2k(p+q) + 2k^{2}) is also a perfect square. Therefore, 0^{p+k}1^{q+k} is still in L.

However, this is a contradiction because we know that (p+k)^{2} + (q+k)^{2} is not a perfect square for all values of k (

Related to Automata: Trying to understand how to check if language is regular

1. What is an automaton?

An automaton, also known as a finite state machine, is a mathematical model used to describe and recognize patterns within a given language. It consists of a finite set of states, transitions between states, and an input alphabet.

2. How does an automaton check if a language is regular?

An automaton checks if a language is regular by reading input symbols and transitioning between states based on a set of rules. If the automaton reaches an accept state after reading the entire input, the language is recognized as regular.

3. What is a regular language?

A regular language is a language that can be recognized by a finite state automaton. It consists of a set of strings formed by a finite alphabet, and follows a set of rules for constructing valid strings.

4. Can all languages be recognized by an automaton?

No, not all languages can be recognized by an automaton. An automaton can only recognize languages that follow a specific set of rules, known as the regular language rules. Languages that do not follow these rules, such as context-sensitive or context-free languages, cannot be recognized by an automaton.

5. Are automata used in practical applications?

Yes, automata have many practical applications in computer science, including compilers, text processing, and natural language processing. They are also used in various fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics to model and analyze complex systems.