Astrophysics or Geophysics as grad work?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which path to take for their graduate studies, either Astrophysics or Geophysics, with a focus on studying gravity and magnetic fields on a planetary scale. They are open to doing one for a masters and the other for a PhD, but are looking for guidance. They have completed undergraduate courses in chemistry, calculus, physical geology, and physics, and are aiming for graduate programs at Stanford, Cal Tech, and UC Berkeley. Upon further research, they have found that Geophysics may be the best fit for their interests, particularly in planetary science.
DerrtyPhysics
First of all just joined and wanted to say hello. I am starting at a 4 year in the Fall after some work at a community college.

I am looking on advice on which path i should take for my grad work. Right now the goal is studying, then hoping to find a career, studying gravity and magnetic fields on a planetary scale.

So the big question, should i do Astrophysics or Geophysics as grad work. Thought about doing one for a masters and PhD for the other, but looking for advice. If any questions of me just ask and will answer asap.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you rather study the fields themselves or how planets produce these fields?

Are you just starting your upper-level undergraduate work?

denjay said:
Would you rather study the fields themselves or how planets produce these fields?

Well how the planets and stars are created and the effects of these forces over long periods of time on the planets both individually and as a whole system.

Are you just starting your upper-level undergraduate work?

Yes I have done chem 1 and 2, up to calc 3, physical geoelogy, and physics 1 and 2. So besides some fillers yes upper-level left

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), Geophysics is the study of geological physics as applied to the Earth.

It seems with what you said about what you want to study, Astrophysics or Astronomy would be the direction to go in as they study things outside of Earth...

Actually upon looking at the Geophysics program at the University of Colorado Boulder (http://www.colorado.edu/geophysics/academics.html), it seems Geophysics might be the direction you want to go in given their additional courses to choose from.

Yea most of the grad school info you have to dig through but I found roughly it is called planetary science (or something similar.)

The ultimate goal for grad schools, not in any order, Stanford, Cal Tech, and UC Berkley. But I do want to have my undergrad in Physics geared toward the proper grad work.

Related to Astrophysics or Geophysics as grad work?

1. What is the difference between astrophysics and geophysics?

Astrophysics is the study of the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and planets. Geophysics, on the other hand, is the study of the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planets.

2. What are some common areas of research in astrophysics or geophysics?

Some common areas of research in astrophysics include cosmology, planetary science, and stellar evolution. In geophysics, common areas of research include seismology, geodynamics, and atmospheric science.

3. What skills are necessary for grad work in astrophysics or geophysics?

Grad work in astrophysics or geophysics typically requires strong analytical and mathematical skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics and other related sciences. Additionally, research experience and proficiency in programming and data analysis are often important skills for grad work in these fields.

4. What are some potential career paths with a degree in astrophysics or geophysics?

Graduates with degrees in astrophysics or geophysics often pursue careers in academia, research institutions, or government agencies. They may also find employment in industries such as energy, aerospace, or environmental consulting.

5. What are some current advancements or breakthroughs in astrophysics or geophysics?

Some current advancements in astrophysics include the discovery of exoplanets, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the development of new technologies for observing and analyzing celestial objects. In geophysics, current breakthroughs include improved earthquake prediction methods, advancements in climate modeling, and the use of satellite data for studying Earth's surface and atmosphere.