Associates in MET good idea? Transferable for a BSME?

• Thread starter ofconfidence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, if you are currently an active duty flight engineer in the military and are interested in a BSME program, you should consider the two year program that offers an AAS in engineering with a mechanical engineering focus. Alternatively, you can consider the school with an AAS in mechanical engineering technology.
ofconfidence
I've been interested in a BSME for a while now and I have no problem putting the effort into earning it, the only problem is that I'm currently an active duty flight engineer in the military and I can't just go into a regular 4 year university program with other obligations. However, there are a few other more flexible programs around here that I'm considering. One is a 2 year program that offers an AAS in engineering with a mechanical engineering focus. Then there is another school with an AAS in mechanical engineering technology.

Would the MET degree be able to transfer to complete a BSME if I decided that's what I'm still interested in? The reason I would actually consider the MET degree would be because even though I've always done pretty well in any math class I've ever taken, the math for the BSME degree seems a little intimidating to me. Plus I've never taken a full blown calculus class. I do know that after receiving an associates degree, I wouldn't actually be satisfied until I received at least a bachelors.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience on this or advice, I would much appreciate it. Thanks!

P.S. If this has already been covered in another thread, please find it in your heart to forgive me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to talk to the school where you want to get a BSME about what credits transfer, and also ask the school offering the AAS in MET if their credits transfer. A BSME degree will involve taking several calculus classes, so I suggest you review the curriculum for the BSME degree and see if it's something you want to tackle.

You have to be careful with credit transfers. Some outfits like ITT Tech are upfront about it: their credits may not transfer to another school.

In most cases regarding AAS vs. BS-anyEngineering, you can assume the courses will NOT transfer. AAS & MET ("technology" being the key word) are generally taught as "non-calculus" classes while BS-anyEngineering requires calculus and advanced math.

If anything, try to use your time to get heavy math classes that match the requirements of your targeted university program. With hard work & practice, they aren't as intimidating as you may think. If you need to do remedial college algebra & trigonometry, then do that first...you will be very glad that you did.

Then when you enter a BS-anyEngineering program, you can just jump right in. If you examine the curriculum requirements of a BS-anyEngineering program, you will see that the first two years are generally the same and consist of a lot of math, physics, chemistry, and essential liberal arts stuff. There may be a few lower-level engineering classes and there may be some of the AS/Tech classes that WILL substitute for those. But you must verify with your college.

I understand the philosophy of doing the least amount of extra work possible, but I'd say do the associates in MET and don't worry about transferring. I think it would be worth any repeat courses you'd have to take. Most MEs that I know don't know how to design for manufacturing and it's frustrating trying to tell them that their design, while "elegant", will make machinists want to kill you in your sleep. Having knowledge in both fields will give you an advantage both in school and in industry.

Related to Associates in MET good idea? Transferable for a BSME?

1. Is getting an Associates in MET a good idea?

It depends on your career goals and individual circumstances. An Associates in MET can provide a solid foundation in engineering technology and may lead to entry-level positions in the field. However, if you are aiming for higher positions or specialized roles, a Bachelor's degree may be necessary.

2. Will an Associates in MET transfer for a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering?

It is possible to transfer an Associates in MET towards a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, but it will depend on the specific programs and schools. Some schools may have transfer agreements in place, while others may require additional coursework or have stricter requirements for transfer credits.

3. How long does it take to complete an Associates in MET?

Typically, an Associates in MET takes two years to complete if attending full-time. However, the length of time may vary depending on the school, program, and individual course load.

4. What job opportunities are available with an Associates in MET?

With an Associates in MET, graduates may qualify for entry-level positions in fields such as manufacturing, materials testing, quality control, and engineering support. However, job opportunities may be limited compared to those with a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.

5. Can an Associates in MET lead to a career as a Mechanical Engineer?

An Associates in MET can provide a foundation for a career in Mechanical Engineering, but it may be challenging to advance to higher positions without a Bachelor's degree. With additional education and experience, it is possible to transition to roles as a Mechanical Engineer, but it may take longer and require more effort compared to those with a Bachelor's degree.