Area of Region Vector Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses applying Green's Theorem to solve for the area of a region, with a given parameterization and a need to prove a specific relation. The conversation also touches on the normal vector and its role in the calculation, as well as the difference in approach if the origin is inside or outside the region.
i_hate_math
Originally posted in a technical math section, so no template
I have tried to apply greens theorem with P(x,y)=-y and Q(x,y)=x, and gotten ∫ F • ds = 2*Area(D), where F(x,y)=(P,Q) ===> Area(D) = 1/2 ∫ F • ds = 1/2 ∫ (-y,x) • n ds . This is pretty much the most common approach to an area of region problem. But here they ask you to prove this bizarre relation of Area(D) = 1/2 ∫ F • ds = ∫ (x,y) • n ds. I am clueless what to do.

Without a good understanding of part (a) of the question, I don't know how to approach (b) at all. I know the parameterisation could be x=acost , y=bsint, 0≤b≤2π. It seems easy but I am in desperate need of some guidance.

Thanks heaps for helping!

Attachments

• Untitled copy.png
    Untitled copy.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
I have tried to apply greens theorem with P(x,y)=-y and Q(x,y)=x, and gotten ∫ F • ds = 2*Area(D), where F(x,y)=(P,Q) ===> Area(D) = 1/2 ∫ F • ds = 1/2 ∫ (-y,x) • n ds . This is pretty much the most common approach to an area of region problem. But here they ask you to prove this bizarre relation of Area(D) = 1/2 ∫ F • ds = ∫ (x,y) • n ds. I am clueless what to do.

Without a good understanding of part (a) of the question, I don't know how to approach (b) at all. I know the parameterisation could be x=acost , y=bsint, 0≤b≤2π. It seems easy but I am in desperate need of some guidance.

Thanks heaps for helping!

For a very short line segment from ##(x_0,y_0)## to ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0 + \Delta y)## on the curve ##C##, what would be the normal ##\vec{n}## in terms of ##x_0, y_0, \Delta x, \Delta y##? If ##\Delta s ## is the distance from ##(x_0,y_0)## to ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0 + \Delta y)##, what would be the value of ##(x,y) \cdot \vec{n} \Delta s##? If the origin (0,0) is in the interior of the region ##D##, what would you get if you summed over all those small increments like those you just computed above?

Finally, what happens if (0,0) is exterior to ##D##?

Likes i_hate_math
Ray Vickson said:
For a very short line segment from ##(x_0,y_0)## to ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0 + \Delta y)## on the curve ##C##, what would be the normal ##\vec{n}## in terms of ##x_0, y_0, \Delta x, \Delta y##? If ##\Delta s ## is the distance from ##(x_0,y_0)## to ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0 + \Delta y)##, what would be the value of ##(x,y) \cdot \vec{n} \Delta s##? If the origin (0,0) is in the interior of the region ##D##, what would you get if you summed over all those small increments like those you just computed above?

Finally, what happens if (0,0) is exterior to ##D##?
n = (dy/ds, −dx/ds) I guess?

i_hate_math said:
n = (dy/ds, −dx/ds) I guess?
Why not just ##\vec{n} = (\Delta y, -\Delta dx) / \sqrt{\Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2}##? (That is, if you want a unit normal!)

I think ds is equivalent to sqrt(dx +dy)?

i_hate_math said:
I think ds is equivalent to sqrt(dx +dy)?
No; it is ##\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}##.

Related to Area of Region Vector Calculus

1. What is the "area of region" in vector calculus?

The area of region in vector calculus is a way of measuring the size of a two-dimensional space using vectors. It is typically used in multivariable calculus to determine the area of a region on a graph.

2. How is the area of a region calculated in vector calculus?

The area of a region in vector calculus is calculated by taking the magnitude of the cross product of two vectors that lie on the boundary of the region. This can be written as: A = ||a x b||, where a and b are the two vectors.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector areas in vector calculus?

In vector calculus, scalar area refers to the traditional method of calculating the area of a region by multiplying the length and width. Vector area, on the other hand, takes into account the direction of the area and is calculated using the cross product of two vectors.

4. Why is it important to understand the concept of area in vector calculus?

Understanding the concept of area in vector calculus is important because it allows for the calculation of area in more complex, multidimensional spaces. This is useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the area of region in vector calculus?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the area of region in vector calculus. Some examples include calculating the area under a curve in economics, determining the surface area of 3D objects in engineering, and finding the volume of complex shapes in physics.