Area Calculation for y = ||e^x - 1| - 1|

In summary, for x < 0, the curve y = e^x, for x > ln(2), the curve y = e^x - 2, and for 0 ≤ x ≤ ln(2), the curve is split into two parts: y = e^x - 1 and y = 1 - e^x. Using the definition of absolute value, the curve can be simplified to y = e^x - 1 for x < ln(2) and y = 1 - e^x for x ≥ ln(2). This simplification gives an area of ln4 - 1 between the positive x-axis, the y-axis, and the curve y = ||e^x -
phospho
Q. Show that the area between the positive x-axis, the y-axis and the curve [itex] y = ||e^x - 1| - 1| [/itex] is ln4 - 1

I've drawn the curve:

http://gyazo.com/cfd52af0f82e0e7d6b063681a73de45a

I notice for x < 0 (as I drew e^x to start out with, that's how I noticed it):
y = e^xfor x>ln(2) y = e^x - 2 (again, as I drew it before hand)

I can't seem to see what y will be for for 0≤x≤ln(2), as all my other notices are because I drew them beforehand.

Could anyone explain how I can split up y accordingly for x <0 for 0≤x≤ln(2) x > ln(2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 0≤x≤ln(2), which range does e^x cover? In particular, what is its smallest value? Based on that, can you get rid of the inner modulus? In the same way, you can get replace the outer modulus.

phospho said:
Q. Show that the area between the positive x-axis, the y-axis and the curve [itex] y = ||e^x - 1| - 1| [/itex] is ln4 - 1

I've drawn the curve:

http://gyazo.com/cfd52af0f82e0e7d6b063681a73de45a

I notice for x < 0 (as I drew e^x to start out with, that's how I noticed it):
y = e^x

for x>ln(2) y = e^x - 2 (again, as I drew it before hand)

I can't seem to see what y will be for for 0≤x≤ln(2), as all my other notices are because I drew them beforehand.

Could anyone explain how I can split up y accordingly for x <0 for 0≤x≤ln(2) x > ln(2) ?
Use the definition of absolute value, twice.
[tex]|e^x-1| =
\begin{cases}
e^x-1 & \text{if } e^x \geq 1 \quad \text{i.e. } x\ge 0 \\ \\
1-e^x & \text{if } e^x < 1 \quad \text{i.e. } x < 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]
[tex]||e^x-1|-1| =
\begin{cases}
|e^x-1|-1 & \text{if } |e^x-1| \geq 1 \quad \text{i.e. } x\ge \ln(2) \\ \\
1-|e^x-1| & \text{if } |e^x-1| < 1 \quad \text{i.e. } x < \ln(2)
\end{cases}
[/tex]
So you want x < ln(2) which gives ##\displaystyle ||e^x-1|-1| =1-|e^x-1| \,,\ ## but also x > 0 which tells you that ##\displaystyle |e^x-1|=e^x-1 \ .##

Put those together.

thank you!

Related to Area Calculation for y = ||e^x - 1| - 1|

1. What is the definition of modulus?

The modulus of a number is its absolute value, or the magnitude of a real number without regard to its sign. It represents the distance of the number from 0 on a number line.

2. How is modulus used in mathematics?

Modulus is commonly used in number theory, algebra, and calculus. It is used to solve equations, simplify expressions, and find the remainder of a division problem.

3. What is the difference between modulus and absolute value?

Modulus and absolute value are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Absolute value refers to the magnitude of a real number, while modulus refers to the distance of a number from 0 on a number line.

4. What is integration and how is it related to modulus?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. Modulus may be used in integration to handle cases where the function being integrated has a negative value, as the modulus function will always return a positive value.

5. Can modulus and integration be used in real-world applications?

Yes, modulus and integration have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and displacement in physics problems.