Are these abbreviations common in programming/image processing?

• Thread starter Jun Kyoto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processing
In summary, the abbreviation "Ref." is used to mean "Reference" on an image processing related product's user interface. The abbreviation "Cir." is used to mean "Circle" on an image processing related product's user interface. The abbreviation "Crcl." is used to mean "Circle curvature" on an image processing related product's user interface. The abbreviation "Dev." is used to mean "Deviation" on an image processing related product's user interface. The abbreviation "Reg." is used to mean "Region" on an image processing related product's user interface. The abbreviation "Inter." is used to mean "Intersection" on an image processing related product's user interface.
Jun Kyoto
Are any of the following abbreviations common or do they rather make you confused when they are on an user interface of an image processing related product?Any other suggestions?

- Position-Pos.
- Coordinate - Coord.
- Radius - r
- Circle - CRCL/ Cir./ Circ./ Crcl
- Deviation - Dev.
- Region - Reg.
- Intersection - Inter.
- Reference - Ref.

Further, do they make sense in combinations as follows?
- Crcl pos x = Circle position x
- Ref.x = x coordinate of a reference point
- Upper left corner x of a square = x coordinate of the upper left corner of a square
-Inter.x = x coordinate of an intersection of few lines

NOTE:
*The product's instruction/UI are American English based.
**Some graphics, or other explanation might be provided to give the context, but not always.

Thank you in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
Jun Kyoto said:
Are any of the following abbreviations common or do they rather make you confused when they are on an user interface of an image processing related product?Any other suggestions?

- Position-Pos.
- Coordinate - Coord.
- Radius - r
- Circle - CRCL/ Cir./ Circ./ Crcl
- Deviation - Dev.
- Region - Reg.
- Intersection - Inter.
- Reference - Ref.
I would spell out circle, but could live with Cir. or Circ.

Inter. for intersection is bad, IMO, because it doesn't capture the idea of things intersecting. The rest are OK, IMO.
Jun Kyoto said:
Further, do they make sense in combinations as follows?
- Crcl pos x = Circle position x
- Ref.x = x coordinate of a reference point
- Upper left corner x of a square = x coordinate of the upper left corner of a square
-Inter.x = x coordinate of an intersection of few lines

NOTE:
*The product's instruction/UI are American English based.
**Some graphics, or other explanation might be provided to give the context, but not always.

Thank you in advance.

Can you perhaps put the entire word or phrase, or even a brief description, in a tooltip that pops up when the user hovers the cursor over the abbreviation?

Likes Medicol
@Mark44,
Thank you, your expertise really counts!

@itbell and other possible audience,
Here's some more specific examples:

-Set by angle and pos. (to mean "Set by angle and position")
-Measure ref. (to mean "Find the reference point")
-Ref. other image (to mean "Reference other image")
-Specify rgn. # (to mean "Specify a region number")

I look forward to more advice.

Jun Kyoto said:
@Mark44,
-Specify rgn. # (to mean "Specify a region number")
I definitely prefer your original reg. instead of rgn.

I would only abbreviate common words if I had to. Assuming you have to abbreviate, those seem as good as any (except 'r' is too short). You need some way for the user to verify them. When something doesn't work, a person gets desperate looking for the problem and starts to doubt his interpretation of abbreviations. The abbreviations are ok in variable names, where abbreviations are expected, but it seems awkward to abbreviate common words in a sentence like: " Enter the r in the window." Many of your examples in post #4 seem a little awkward to me.

If you are the intended audience and it is not readily clear to you, then it is bad technical writing.

.Scott said:
If you are the intended audience and it is not readily clear to you, then it is bad technical writing.
Or are you, @Jun Kyoto, the writer, and asking for us to review your work?

If that's the case, is there a good reason for all of the abbreviations, such as limited space in the UI? If there is no such constraint, I would not use abbreviations.

Likes Lizabella and FactChecker
Thank you all, this has been very helpful. As @Mark44 assumed, space on the UI is limited and that is only why we are considering use of abbreviations.

Will use them within a clear context/clues at the least frequency.

Related to Are these abbreviations common in programming/image processing?

1. What is the purpose of using abbreviations in programming and image processing?

Abbreviations are commonly used in programming and image processing to save time and effort in writing and reading code. They also help to make code more concise and easier to understand.

2. Are there any standard abbreviations used in programming and image processing?

Yes, there are many standard abbreviations used in programming and image processing, such as HTML for Hypertext Markup Language and JPEG for Joint Photographic Experts Group. However, there may also be variations and regional differences in abbreviations.

3. How do I know if an abbreviation is common in programming and image processing?

The best way to determine if an abbreviation is common in programming and image processing is to do a quick search online or consult industry-specific resources and documentation. You can also ask other programmers or image processing experts for their insights.

4. Are abbreviations used in programming and image processing universal?

No, abbreviations used in programming and image processing may not be universal and can vary depending on the programming language or software being used. It is important to check the context and usage of the abbreviation before assuming its meaning.

5. Can I create my own abbreviations in programming and image processing?

Yes, you can create your own abbreviations in programming and image processing as long as they are clear and consistent in their usage. However, it is recommended to stick to standard abbreviations when possible for better understanding and collaboration with others.