Are there any good sources for learning Java as an experienced C++ programmer?

In summary, I'm an experienced C++ programmer looking to learn Java SE 7. Because of the similarities of the languages, you'd think there would be a tutorial out there suited for such people but I'm having trouble finding one. I've looked at a couple of Java tutorials that are tailored to C++ programmers but, from what little I do know of Java, they all seem to be out of date. I don't think you really need something highly customized: you probably have enough experience to have a gut sense of what you need to look for. The issues I stated above are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head, and I did Java a very long time ago, so if there are fundamental changes like
Jocko Homo
I'm an experienced C++ programmer looking to learn Java SE 7. Because of the similarities of the language, you'd think there would be a tutorial out there suited for such people but I'm having trouble finding one. I've looked at a couple of Java tutorials that are tailored to C++ programmers but, from what little I do know of Java, they all seem to be out of date...

Does anyone happen to know of a good up-to-date Java tutorial for C++ programmers?
Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey Jocko Homo.

I had to learn Java a very long time ago, and my background is in C/C++ and Assembler just so you know where I am coming from.

I think if you have a fair bit of experience in C++, Java will be an easy transition.

The biggest obstacles I see for you is memory management especially for how things are created and deleted (this is a big change) and how they are represented, the keyword differences for OOP, some other differences with inheritance, and apart from other syntax differences, the flow-control (you can't do function pointers quite like you can in C++) and the actual API.

Any decent references book that allows you to just go to these particular issues will do the job in my opinion, and there should be tonnes of things out there that are well organized (e.g. chapters are contained in a way that cover what you need).

I don't think you really need something highly customized: you probably have enough experience to have a gut sense of what you need to look for. The issues I stated above are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head, and I did Java a very long time ago, so if there are fundamental changes like in syntax and other features since then, they would have to be taken into account.

There are many books titled something like "Java for C++ programmers" which would probably be helpful.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any specific books, because I'm actually going in the reverse direction :) I've recently picked up "C for Java programmers" and "C++ for Java programmers", and they are very helpful because they focus on simply the differences between the languages, without wasting time covering general concepts that are the same in most languages.

I understand the importance of finding reliable and up-to-date sources for learning new programming languages. Java and C++ do have similarities, but it is important to understand the unique features and syntax of Java in order to become proficient in the language.

One good source for learning Java as an experienced C++ programmer is the official Java documentation provided by Oracle. This can be found on their website and includes tutorials, guides, and reference materials for Java SE 7. Additionally, there are many online courses and tutorials available on websites such as Coursera, Udemy, and Codeacademy that are specifically designed for experienced programmers looking to learn Java. These courses are regularly updated and provide hands-on practice and real-world examples to help you understand and apply Java concepts.

Another helpful resource is the book "Java: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt. This book is specifically geared towards programmers with experience in other languages and provides a comprehensive and up-to-date introduction to Java.

It is also important to actively participate in online communities and forums dedicated to Java programming. This will allow you to connect with other experienced programmers who can offer insights and advice, as well as provide a platform for asking questions and getting help with any challenges you may encounter.

In conclusion, while it may take some effort to find the right resources, there are many good sources available for experienced C++ programmers looking to learn Java. By utilizing a combination of official documentation, online courses, books, and online communities, you can successfully make the transition to Java and expand your programming skills.

Related to Are there any good sources for learning Java as an experienced C++ programmer?

1. Can I use my knowledge of C++ to learn Java easily?

Yes, there are many similarities between C++ and Java, such as their syntax and object-oriented programming concepts. However, there are also some differences that you will need to learn, such as Java's use of a virtual machine and garbage collection.

2. Where can I find good sources for learning Java as an experienced C++ programmer?

There are many online resources available for learning Java, such as tutorials, blogs, and forums. You can also find books specifically aimed at experienced C++ programmers looking to learn Java. Some popular resources include Oracle's official Java tutorials, Codecademy, and Stack Overflow.

3. How long will it take me to learn Java as an experienced C++ programmer?

The amount of time it takes to learn Java will vary depending on your previous experience and dedication to learning. Being an experienced C++ programmer will give you a head start, but it may still take several weeks or months to become proficient in Java.

4. Do I need to have a strong understanding of data structures and algorithms to learn Java?

While having a strong understanding of data structures and algorithms can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement for learning Java. As an experienced C++ programmer, you likely already have a good understanding of these concepts, but you can also learn them as you go while learning Java.

5. Are there any specific challenges I may face when learning Java as an experienced C++ programmer?

One of the main challenges you may face is unlearning C++ habits and syntax that do not apply to Java. For example, Java does not have pointers or operator overloading, which are common in C++. Additionally, Java's strict type system and use of a virtual machine may take some getting used to for C++ programmers.