Are Calculus and Linear Algebra prerequisites for Intro to Mathematical Proof?

In summary, the conversation revolves around taking an Intro to mathematical proof class with prerequisites of Cal III and linear algebra. The person is unsure if they have enough knowledge from the prerequisite classes and seeks advice. Others suggest emailing the instructor and mention that the prerequisites may be more focused on mathematical maturity rather than content.
kanweili
Hi, all

Going to take the Intro to mathematical proof class this coming quarter. It says the prerequisite is Cal III and linear algebra. I have taken those prereq years ago and forgot most of the materials. I don't know if the Intro to mathematical proof class has a lot of materials from those two prereq classes or not. Please advice.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty much impossible for us to judge. Your best bet is to email the instructor and ask them

My college has similar requirements, and I'm taking that class this semester. From what I understand, the Calculus requirements are not really content requirements; rather, they are "Mathematical Maturity" requirements. So I think you'll be okay even if you've forgotten most of Calculus or Linear Algebra.

Still, it's not a bad idea to email the professor and ask him/her yourself.

Related to Are Calculus and Linear Algebra prerequisites for Intro to Mathematical Proof?

What is mathematical proof?

Mathematical proof is a method of logically demonstrating the truth or validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It involves using a series of logical steps and previously established knowledge to arrive at a conclusion.

Why is understanding mathematical proof important?

Understanding mathematical proof is important because it helps us to develop critical thinking skills, improve our problem-solving abilities, and deepen our understanding of mathematical concepts. It also allows us to communicate ideas and arguments clearly and precisely.

What are the key elements of a mathematical proof?

The key elements of a mathematical proof include a clearly stated hypothesis or statement to be proven, a series of logical steps or arguments, and a conclusion that follows logically from the previous steps. Often, visual aids such as diagrams or equations are also used to support the proof.

What are some common techniques used in mathematical proof?

Some common techniques used in mathematical proof include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by counterexample. Each technique has its own advantages and is used depending on the nature of the statement being proven.

How can one improve their skills in writing mathematical proofs?

One can improve their skills in writing mathematical proofs by practicing regularly, seeking feedback from peers and instructors, and studying different proof techniques. It is also helpful to start with simpler proofs and gradually work towards more complex ones, and to carefully analyze and understand the logic behind each step of a proof.