Applying the Euler-Lagrange equations, a special case

In summary, the Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical equation used in the calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes a given functional. It is derived by setting the derivative of the functional with respect to the function equal to zero. A special case of this equation is when the functional depends only on the first derivative of the function, which is commonly used in physics to find the path of least action. This equation can be applied in various fields to optimize systems and find the most efficient solutions, but it has limitations such as only being applicable to problems with fixed endpoints and functions that satisfy certain smoothness conditions. It also may not provide a global optimization and may require numerical methods to solve.
hatsoff
In the proof to Theorem 7.3 from this paper on FNTFs, the authors invoke the so-called "Langrange equations." I assume they mean the Euler-Lagrange equations. (But maybe not...?) Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with the Euler-Lagrange equations, and in reading what they are, I have no idea how to apply them in this case.

If anyone has some spare time and good will, can he/she please explain how to understand this?

Homework Statement

Let [tex]K=\mathbb{C}[/tex] be the complex numbers and [tex]S(K^d)[/tex] the unit sphere in [tex]K^d[/tex] for some positive integer d. Let [tex]\{x_n\}_{n=1}^N\subseteq S(K^d)[/tex] be a fixed sequence in that unit sphere. Let [tex]S=\{(a,b)\in\mathbb{R}^d\times\mathbb{R}^d:\lvert a\rvert^2+\lvert b\rvert^2=1\}[/tex] be the unit sphere in [tex]\mathbb{R}^d\times\mathbb{R}^d[/tex], and define the function [tex]\widetilde{FP}_l:S\to[0,\infty)[/tex] by

[tex](a,b)\mapsto 2\sum_{n\neq l}(\langle a,a_n\rangle+\langle b,b_n\rangle)^2+(\langle b,a_n\rangle-\langle a,b_n\rangle)^2+1+\sum_{m\neq l}\sum_{n\neq l}|\langle x_m,x_n\rangle|^2,[/tex]

where the sums are otherwise over 1 through N, and l is some integer between 1 and N. Let [tex](a_l,b_l)\in S\subset\mathbb{R}^d\times\mathbb{R}^d[/tex] be a local minimizer of [tex]\widetilde{FP}_l[/tex].

Show that there exists a scalar [tex]c\in\mathbb{R}[/tex] such that both of the following equations hold:

(7.1) [tex]\nabla_a\widetilde{FP}_l(a,b)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)}=c\nabla_a(\lvert a\rvert^2+\lvert b\rvert^2)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)};[/tex]

(7.2) [tex]\nabla_b\widetilde{FP}_l(a,b)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)}=c\nabla_b(\lvert a\rvert^2+\lvert b\rvert^2)|_{(a,b)=(a_l,b_l)}.[/tex]

Homework Equations

The "Langrange equations," which I assume refers to the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Also, I do not understand what the symbols [tex]\nabla_a,\nabla_b[/tex] mean. I would expect they refer to some kind of gradient. But what's with the subscripts? I'm sorry to say I'm more than a little lost.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand most of the rest of the proof to Theorem 7.3. But I just don't know how to interpret this business of Euler-Langrange equations.

If possible, I would like someone to show me in a textbook (I can get almost anything online or from my university library) what theorem to use, and what choices to make in applying the theorem. For instance, if a theorem calls for a function f, then what is a suitable choice of f in this case?

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The Euler-Lagrange equations are a set of differential equations used to find the extrema (minima or maxima) of a functional. A functional is a function of a function, rather than a function of a variable. In this case, the functional is \widetilde{FP}_l, which is a function of the functions a and b.

The symbols \nabla_a and \nabla_b refer to the gradient with respect to a and b, respectively. The subscripts indicate which variable the gradient is taken with respect to. The gradient is a vector of partial derivatives, which gives the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent of a function.

To apply the Euler-Lagrange equations in this case, you will need to use the theorem for finding the extrema of a functional. This theorem states that if a function f(x) has a stationary point (a point where the derivative is equal to zero), and if the functional \int_a^b F(x, f(x), f'(x))dx has a stationary point at f(x) = y, then the function f(x) satisfies the Euler-Lagrange equation:

\frac{\partial F}{\partial f} - \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial f'}\right) = 0

In this case, the functional is \widetilde{FP}_l, and the stationary point is (a_l, b_l). To apply this theorem, you will need to choose a suitable function F(x, f(x), f'(x)), which will depend on the problem at hand. You will then need to take the partial derivatives with respect to a and b, and set them equal to zero in order to solve for c.

I hope this explanation helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your studies.

Related to Applying the Euler-Lagrange equations, a special case

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical equation used in the calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes a given functional. It is often used in physics and engineering to find the path or shape that minimizes a certain type of energy or action.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from the calculus of variations, which involves finding the critical points of a functional. By setting the derivative of the functional with respect to the function equal to zero, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be obtained.

3. What is a special case of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

A special case of the Euler-Lagrange equation is when the functional depends only on the first derivative of the function. This is known as the classical or single variable case and is commonly used in physics to find the path of least action.

4. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation applied in real-world problems?

The Euler-Lagrange equation can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It is commonly used to optimize systems and find the most efficient or optimal solutions. For example, it can be used to determine the shape of a bridge that can withstand the least amount of stress, or the path of a rocket that requires the least amount of fuel.

5. What are the limitations of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has certain limitations, such as only being applicable to problems with fixed endpoints and functions that satisfy certain smoothness conditions. It also does not provide a global optimization, meaning that it may only give a local minimum instead of the global minimum. Additionally, it may not always have a closed-form solution and may require numerical methods to solve.