Apply the mean value theorem for integrals

In summary, the attempt at a solution for these problems is to find 1/(b-a) easy, find the antiderivative of 4 - x, plug in what the result of the antiderivative is for b and a, subtract b from a, and this is the step I'm missing. The books shows that I'm supposed to multiply 4 by b - a. Why? What is this? I need to know what mathematical terminology this is so that i can do these problems in the future.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-01at22839PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My book is not explaining very well the steps at solving these problems. There is a step that I'm missing

step 1. find 1/(b-a) easy
step 2. find the antiderivative of 4 - x, easy, x^2/2
step 3. plug in what the result of the antiderivative is for b and a, subtract b from a
step 4. this is the step I'm missing. the books shows that I'm supposed to multiply 4 by b - a. why? what is this? I need to know what mathematical terminology this is so that i can do these problems in the future
step 5. subtract step 4 from step 3. why? what mathematical terminology is this.
step 6. multiply step 1 by step 5, I understand that.

I'm not yet able to read the notation and the book is not helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-01at22839PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My book is not explaining very well the steps at solving these problems. There is a step that I'm missing

step 1. find 1/(b-a) easy
step 2. find the antiderivative of 4 - x, easy, x^2/2
Well, 4x- x^2/2

step 3. plug in what the result of the antiderivative is for b and a, subtract b from a
step 4. this is the step I'm missing. the books shows that I'm supposed to multiply 4 by b - a. why? what is this? I need to know what mathematical terminology this is so that i can do these problems in the future
The anti-derivative of 4, with respect to x, is 4x. That is evaluated between the limits of integration, b and a. You can do it as either 4b- 4a or 4(b- a). They are equal by the "distributive law".

step 5. subtract step 4 from step 3.
No, they are not subtracting step 4 from step 3. They are simply completing the calculation indicated in step 4. There are, however, different ways of doing that step. You could have calculated that 4(3)= 12, and [itex]3^2/2= 9/2[/itex] and subtract: 12- 9/2= 24/2- 9/2= 15/2.
Then multiply by the leading 1/3: (1/3)(15/2)= 5/2.

Or, using the distributive law, go ahead and multiply by the 1/3 first: (1/3)(4(3)- 3^2/2)= (1/3)(4(3))- (1/3)(3^2)/2. That 1/3 will cancel a 3 in eacy term: it is equal to 4- 3/2= 8/2- 3/2= 5/2 again.

why? what mathematical terminology is this.
step 6. multiply step 1 by step 5, I understand that.

I'm not yet able to read the notation and the book is not helping.
The distributive law: a(b+ c)= ab+ ac.

Ok, thanks, I incorrectly calculated the antiderivative of 4 - x as (x^2)/2, it's (4x - x^2)/2.

Thanks for your help

All that's happened here is an integral
Here are some properties of integrals that you should know that will also help you understand your problem

Let a be a constant, f(x) be some function of x, and F(x) be it's anti-derivative

1. [itex]\int (a \pm f(x))dx = \int a dx \pm \int f(x) dx[/itex]

2. [itex]\int a f(x) dx = a \int f(x) dx[/itex]

3. [itex]\int 1 dx = x[/itex]

4. [itex]\int_a ^b f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)[/itex]Now I shall show you which of these properties we shall use in our problem;

[itex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_a ^b f(x) fx = \frac{1}{b-a} \int_a ^b (4-x)dx [/itex]

I shall use property 1. now

[itex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_a ^b (4-x)dx [/itex] = \frac{1}{b-a}( \int_a ^b 4 dx - \int_a ^b x dx[/itex]

I shall now use property 2. on the first term

[itex] \frac{1}{b-a}( \int_a ^b 4 dx - \int_a ^b x dx = \frac{1}{b-a} ( 4 \int _a ^b 1 dx - \int_a ^b x dx)[/itex]

Due to property 3, the anti-derivative of 1 is x (or in the terms of property 4. if f(x)=1 then F(x) = x)
And using property 4 to evaluate the definite integrals

[itex]\frac{1}{b-a} ( 4 \int _a ^b 1 dx - \int_a ^b x dx) = \frac{1}{b-a} ( 4(b-a) -( \frac{b^2}{2} -\frac{a^2}{2} ))[/itex]

Substituting in our values for a and b we get

[itex] \frac{1}{b-a} ( 4(b-a) -( \frac{b^2}{2} -\frac{a^2}{2} )) = \frac{1}{3} ( 4(3) -\frac{3^2}{2}) = 4 - \frac{3}{2} = \frac{5}{2}[/itex]

Has this helped at all?

Related to Apply the mean value theorem for integrals

What is the mean value theorem for integrals?

The mean value theorem for integrals is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then at some point within that interval, the instantaneous rate of change of the function will be equal to the average rate of change over the entire interval.

How is the mean value theorem for integrals applied?

To apply the mean value theorem for integrals, you first need to determine if the function is continuous on the closed interval. If it is, then you can use the formula: f(c) = 1/b-a ∫a to b f(x) dx, where c is the point at which the instantaneous rate of change is equal to the average rate of change. This formula can be used to find the average value of a function over a given interval.

What are the assumptions for applying the mean value theorem for integrals?

The mean value theorem for integrals requires the following assumptions:

• The function must be continuous on the closed interval
  • The function must be differentiable on the open interval
  • The interval must be finite
  • The function must not have any vertical asymptotes within the interval

Can the mean value theorem for integrals be applied to all functions?

No, the mean value theorem for integrals can only be applied to continuous functions. If a function is discontinuous, the theorem cannot be used.

What is the significance of the mean value theorem for integrals?

The mean value theorem for integrals is significant because it provides a way to find the average value of a function over a given interval. This has practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where finding average values is important for making predictions and solving problems.