Apostol 4.12 #28 - Related Rates Problem

In summary: OK, I think I see what you're saying now. But I think you've got your "letters" out of order. You want to write6 = 2r + b, right?No, I want to write 6=2c+b. Here's what I have:We know that h=ar+b=2cr+b and that \frac{dh}{dr}=a and \frac{dh}{dt}=3c, so using the chain rule we have \frac{dh}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{dh}{dt} \implies a=2c as long as c\ne0.Then, using the given information that the height is
process91
Here is the question verbatim:

The radius of a right-circular cylinder increases at a constant rate. Its altitude is a linear function of the radius and increases three times as fast as the radius. When the radius is 1 foot, the altitude is 6 feet. When the radius is 6 feet, the volume is increasing at a rate of 1 cubic feet per second. When the radius is 36 feet, the volume is increasing at a rate of n cubic feet per second, where n is an integer. Compute n.I set the problem up as follows:
The radius of a right-circular cylinder increases at a constant rate. Then let r be the radius and t be the number of seconds. This implies that [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}=c[/itex] for some constant c.

Its altitude is a linear function of the radius Letting h be the altitude, we have h=ar+b for some constants a and b.
and increases three times as fast as the radius. Then [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}=3\frac{dr}{dt}=3c[/itex]. Also, we have [itex]\frac{dh}{dr}=a[/itex] and so by the chain rule, [itex]\frac{dh}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{dh}{dt} \implies a=2c[/itex] as long as [itex]c\ne0[/itex], which we will have shortly.

When the radius is 1 foot, the altitude is 6 feet. So [itex]6=2c+b[/itex].

When the radius is 6 feet, the volume is increasing at a rate of 1 cubic feet per second. Letting v be the volume, we have [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=1[/itex]. This is how we know that [itex]c\ne0[/itex], since [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex].

Now we work to find n. We have [itex]6=2c+b \implies b=6-2c \implies h=2cr+6-2c[/itex]. The volume of a right-circular cylinder is given by [itex]v = \pi r^2 h =\pi r^2 (2cr+6-2c) = 2c\pi r^3+(6-2c)\pi r^2[/itex] and so [itex]\frac{dv}{dr}=6c\pi r^2 + 2(6-2c)\pi r[/itex]. Using the chain rule, we have [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=(6c\pi r^2 + 2(6-2c)\pi r)c[/itex] and when r=6, [itex]1=(6c\pi 6^2 + 2(6-2c)\pi 6)c[/itex] which, simplified, is [itex]1=192 \pi c^2+72 \pi c[/itex]. From this alone, we can see that whatever c is, it is a very complicated number because it must remove the values of pi in the equation. Solving this using the quadratic equation will give us two possible values:
Solved with WolframAlpha

Using the positive one, since the radius is increasing, we should be able to compute [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] directly, however for r=36 we don't get an integer.
Final Solution from WolframAlpha

The book's answer is 33. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi process91! :smile:

process91 said:
Here is the question verbatim:

The radius of a right-circular cylinder increases at a constant rate. Its altitude is a linear function of the radius and increases three times as fast as the radius. When the radius is 1 foot, the altitude is 6 feet. When the radius is 6 feet, the volume is increasing at a rate of 1 cubic feet per second. When the radius is 36 feet, the volume is increasing at a rate of n cubic feet per second, where n is an integer. Compute n.

I set the problem up as follows:
The radius of a right-circular cylinder increases at a constant rate. Then let r be the radius and t be the number of seconds. This implies that [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}=c[/itex] for some constant c.

Its altitude is a linear function of the radius Letting h be the altitude, we have h=ar+b for some constants a and b.
and increases three times as fast as the radius. Then [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}=3\frac{dr}{dt}=3c[/itex].

I don't see that. Doesn't the information give you that [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}=3c[/itex]?? You seem to say that [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}=3c[/itex] and I don't see why you would say that.

Have a look at this line again (I corrected a typo):

process91 said:
and increases three times as fast as the radius. Then [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}=3\frac{dr}{dt}=3c[/itex]. Also, we have [itex]\frac{dh}{dr}=a[/itex] and so by the chain rule, [itex]\frac{dh}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{dh}{dt} \implies a=2c[/itex] as long as [itex]c\ne0[/itex], which we will have shortly.

Doesn't this imply ac = 3c ?

dynamicsolo said:
Have a look at this line again (I corrected a typo):

Doesn't this imply ac = 3c ?

Yes, that was a typo. I've corrected it in the original problem.

OK, that takes care of the typo, but your implication is still incorrect. Also,

process91 said:
When the radius is 1 foot, the altitude is 6 feet. So [itex]6=2c+b[/itex].

I think you want to write 6 = 3r + b here. This equation for the height involves r , not dr/dt .

dynamicsolo said:
OK, that takes care of the typo, but your implication is still incorrect. Also,

I think you want to write 6 = 3r + b here. This equation for the height involves r , not dr/dt .

What part of the implication is incorrect? Just to make sure we're talking about the same spot, I have that
[itex]\frac{dh}{dr}=a[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}=c[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}=3c[/itex]. Using the chain rule, that implies that [itex]ac=3c[/itex] and, as long as [itex]c\ne0[/itex], [itex]a=2c[/itex].

For the part where I write [itex]6 = 2c + b[/itex], I am using the given statement that the height is 6 when the radius is 1 and the fact that [itex]h=ar+b=2cr+b[/itex] based on my above implication. Taking r=1 and h=6 yields [itex]6=2c+b[/itex].

process91 said:
What part of the implication is incorrect? Just to make sure we're talking about the same spot, I have that
[itex]\frac{dh}{dr}=a[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}=c[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}=3c[/itex]. Using the chain rule, that implies that [itex]ac=3c[/itex] and, as long as [itex]c\ne0[/itex], [itex]a=2c[/itex].

Yes, but doesn't ac=3c imply that a=3??

For the part where I write [itex]6 = 2c + b[/itex], I am using the given statement that the height is 6 when the radius is 1 and the fact that [itex]h=ar+b=2cr+b[/itex] based on my above implication. Taking r=1 and h=6 yields [itex]6=2c+b[/itex].

micromass said:
Yes, but doesn't ac=3c imply that a=3??

*blink, blink* Yes, it does. I must be tired or something. Thank you so much - I was tearing my hair out. Sometimes it's the little things.

Thanks to dynamicsolo as well, I see that you were also pointing to this flaw.

Sleep deprivation (or fatigue) and mathematics don't mix...

By the way, you will never need to use dr/dt for anything -- it can be divided out when you compare dV/dt at r = 6 with dV/dt at r = 36 .

Last edited:

Related to Apostol 4.12 #28 - Related Rates Problem

1. What is the concept of related rates in the context of "Apostol 4.12 #28 - Related Rates Problem"?

The concept of related rates is when two or more variables are changing with respect to each other, and the rate of change of one variable can be used to find the rate of change of the other variable. In this specific problem, we are given the rate of change of the radius of a circular water tank, and we need to find the rate of change of the height of the water in the tank.

2. How do you approach solving a related rates problem like "Apostol 4.12 #28 - Related Rates Problem"?

The first step in solving a related rates problem is to identify the given and unknown variables, and any equations or relationships between them. Then, we use implicit differentiation to find the derivatives of the variables with respect to time. Finally, we plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable's derivative.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Apostol 4.12 #28 - Related Rates Problem"?

One common mistake is not properly identifying the given and unknown variables, which can lead to incorrect derivatives and wrong answers. Another mistake is not using implicit differentiation when finding the derivatives, which is essential in related rates problems. Lastly, not checking the units of the given and unknown variables can result in incorrect derivatives and solutions.

4. Can you provide some tips for solving related rates problems like "Apostol 4.12 #28 - Related Rates Problem"?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include carefully reading the problem and identifying the given and unknown variables, drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, using implicit differentiation, and checking the units of the given and unknown variables. It is also helpful to double-check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Are there any real-life applications of related rates problems like "Apostol 4.12 #28 - Related Rates Problem"?

Related rates problems have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in engineering, related rates can be used to calculate the rate at which a building's shadow is changing, which is important for designing solar panels. In economics, related rates can be used to determine the rate of change of prices for different goods. In physics, related rates can be used to analyze the motion of objects, such as the rate at which a car is approaching a stop sign.