AP Physics 1 course guidelines

In summary, the new course guideline is not straightforward like it used to be. For instance, I am in the waves and sound unit, and when you read through the big ideas, there is no actual list of what to teach, just objectives that sound like what students are supposed to learn during labs. I am at a loss of what to teach for sound. Does anyone have a more precise list they have found of what exactly we are supposed to teach this year?
Chemlady
Is anyone else having difficulty deciphering specifics in what to teach this year in Ap physics 1? The new course guideline is not straightforward like it used to be. For instance, I am in the waves and sound unit, and when you read through the big ideas, there is no actual list of what to teach, just objectives that sound like what students are supposed to learn during labs. I am at a loss of what to teach for sound. Does anyone have a more precise list they have found of what exactly we are supposed to teach this year? It takes so much time scrolling through the big ideas trying to find what I need and then I usually don't find it.

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, they are on the AP college board website. In the past I used a book that they put out that had a very clear outline of objectives for each unit. They changed this into 7 "big ideas" that are more general. I am particularly trying to find out what to teach for my sound unit, in which there is very minimal information listed under these big ideas. I'm at a loss. I had the same problem when trying to put my circular motion and rotation unit together.

Hi Chemlady,

You're probably through with the waves unit by now, but I just saw your post. You might want to check out Dolores Gende's breakdown of the Learning Objectives, arranged along traditional physics content areas:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1txNnjYHrJEv_8DimD7_6nZEYP6H8e7AsIvZ8jswS26w/edit
(She has a similar arrangement for Physics 2, which is linked to at the bottom of this page.)

Also, you might find the four sample Course Planning and Pacing guides useful. Scroll down to about the middle of this page for links:
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/teachers_corner/2262.html

Related to AP Physics 1 course guidelines

1. What is AP Physics 1 and what does the course cover?

AP Physics 1 is a high school level course that covers the fundamental principles of physics, including motion, forces, energy, and waves. The course also includes laboratory work and emphasizes critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking AP Physics 1?

The prerequisites for taking AP Physics 1 vary by school, but typically include algebra 1 and 2, geometry, and trigonometry. It is recommended that students also have a strong foundation in basic physics concepts before taking the course.

3. How is the AP Physics 1 exam structured and what is the format of the questions?

The AP Physics 1 exam consists of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section has 50 questions and accounts for 50% of the total score. The free-response section has 5 questions and accounts for the remaining 50% of the score. The questions on the exam are designed to test students' understanding of concepts and their ability to apply physics principles to real-world scenarios.

4. How is the AP Physics 1 course graded and what is considered a passing score?

The AP Physics 1 course is graded on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score. The final course grade is determined by a combination of class assignments, tests, and the AP exam score. A score of 3 or higher on the AP exam is generally considered a passing score, but this may vary depending on the college or university a student is applying to.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Physics 1 exam?

To prepare for the AP Physics 1 exam, it is important to attend class regularly, participate in labs and discussions, and complete all assignments. It is also helpful to review class notes, practice problems, and past AP exam questions. There are also many study resources available online, such as review books and practice tests, that can help students prepare for the exam.