Anybody tried solving Riemann Hypothesis?

In summary, the conversation revolved around attempts at solving the Riemann Hypothesis and the challenges faced by those who have tried. One person came up with a proof but was unable to write it down due to lack of space. Another person shared a source for information on the Riemann Hypothesis and a Java Applet. The conversation also included some humorous anecdotes about attempts at proving the Riemann Hypothesis, such as running out of room on paper or having a pet eat a proof. Overall, it highlighted the difficulty and dedication required in attempting to solve this famous mathematical problem.
waht
Just wondering if any of the posters seriously tried solving Riemann Hypothesis. And if yes, then what kinds of problems did you run into?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I came up with a really good proof of it, but I was doing it in the margin of a paper and I ran out of room, so I couldn't write it down.

pi-r8 said:
I came up with a really good proof of it, but I was doing it in the margin of a paper and I ran out of room, so I couldn't write it down.

You said it all wrong. :-p

My prof. said, "Oh yeah, third time is the charm."

If you want a good source for -info- on the Riemann Hypothesis, check http://www.math.ubc.ca/~pugh/RiemannZeta/RiemannZetaLong.html" As I'm not as advanced as I'd like to even be able to read that, I'm 90% sure that's a very good source for the info, as well as the Java Applet :approve:

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
pi-r8 said:

This is unrelated, but one every one of my exam booklets (the math department use the same booklets for every course), in front, written boldface, are the words "do not write in the margin". I wonder if some prankster did something in any of the previous years that caused them to print that:smile:

Treadstone 71 said:
This is unrelated, but one every one of my exam booklets (the math department use the same booklets for every course), in front, written boldface, are the words "do not write in the margin". I wonder if some prankster did something in any of the previous years that caused them to print that:smile:

A less glamorous option is that they may use the space for marking purposes.

I started to prove RH by showing one by one all the zeros were on the critical line. I showed the first 5 were, then my crayon broke and I had to give up.

shmoe said:
A less glamorous option is that they may use the space for marking purposes.

Well, that's no fun.

i was waiting at my school's bus station when i came up with a proof, but unfortunately my bus was leaving & i couldn't write it down in time.

Last edited:
my dog ate my proof.

inha said:
my dog ate my proof.
Actually, that was me. Sorry.

Related to Anybody tried solving Riemann Hypothesis?

1. What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a conjecture in mathematics that states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line with real part equal to 1/2. In simpler terms, it is a statement about the distribution of prime numbers and has important implications for number theory and other areas of mathematics.

2. Why is the Riemann Hypothesis important?

The Riemann Hypothesis has been described as the most famous unsolved problem in mathematics. Its resolution would have significant implications for the distribution of prime numbers and could potentially lead to breakthroughs in other areas of mathematics. It also has connections to other fields, such as physics and cryptography.

3. Has anyone tried solving the Riemann Hypothesis?

Yes, many mathematicians have attempted to solve the Riemann Hypothesis since it was first proposed by Bernhard Riemann in 1859. Some notable attempts include those by G.F.B. Riemann, John von Neumann, and Atle Selberg. However, as of yet, no one has been able to prove or disprove the hypothesis.

4. What progress has been made towards solving the Riemann Hypothesis?

Over the years, several important results have been established that provide evidence for the Riemann Hypothesis. For example, the Prime Number Theorem and the Riemann-Siegel formula both give strong support for the hypothesis. However, despite these advancements, the Riemann Hypothesis remains unsolved.

5. What are the potential consequences if the Riemann Hypothesis is proven?

If the Riemann Hypothesis is proven, it would have a profound impact on mathematics and other fields. It could lead to advancements in number theory, cryptography, and physics, and may even have practical applications in areas such as data encryption and computer science. Additionally, it would be a major achievement in the history of mathematics and could potentially lead to a better understanding of the distribution of prime numbers.