Any ideas what makes life, alive?

• Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the theories of abiogenesis, which is the concept of how non-living materials can give rise to living organisms. The conversation mentions the role of the Big Bang and the formation of elements through supernovae explosions in allowing for the development of life. There is also mention of the hypothesis that the building blocks of life were delivered to Earth through comets or asteroids. The conversation also touches on the relationship between biology and chemistry, with biology focusing on the study of life and chemistry playing a role in understanding the processes of life.
iDimension
I know this forum doesn't allow speculation but is there any good theories in science that explain how chemistry can become biology? At the start of the big bang, there was no such thing as life and now here I am, material created by the big bang that has come together in such a way that allows me to acknowledge not only my own existence but also the existence of the universe... the thing that created me. I created myself it seems.

So what sequence of events allowed chemistry to become alive and aware?

Biology news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes iDimension
Thanks Evo!

You're very welcome, I hope it helps.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
If you really mean to begin at the Big Bang as opposed to after chemistry existed, the fact that physical properties such as the gravitational constant and parity laws came out the way they did is critical; they didn't have to be this way. Skipping all of the stuff about energy condensing into matter which then stuck together to make stellar systems, life as we know it still wouldn't exist if not for supernovae explosions in which "modern" elements were formed. Also, there is reasonable although not overwhelming evidence that the biochemical precursors to our life-type, if not the life itself, were delivered to Earth by a comet or asteroid impact as opposed to developing here.

Danger said:
If you really mean to begin at the Big Bang as opposed to after chemistry existed, the fact that physical properties such as the gravitational constant and parity laws came out the way they did is critical; they didn't have to be this way. Skipping all of the stuff about energy condensing into matter which then stuck together to make stellar systems, life as we know it still wouldn't exist if not for supernovae explosions in which "modern" elements were formed. Also, there is reasonable although not overwhelming evidence that the biochemical precursors to our life-type, if not the life itself, were delivered to Earth by a comet or asteroid impact as opposed to developing here.

It would be helpful to provide a citation for the OP relating to theories of abiogenesis via comet.

Ryan_m_b said:
It would be helpful to provide a citation for the OP relating to theories of abiogenesis via comet.
Indeed it would. Unfortunately, I've just seen it mentioned here and there on such shows as Daily Planet, in various news snippets with scientist interviews, and the like. I can't cite any particular source, much less a peer-reviewed journal. None of them were crackpot or "off the wall" things, though, and none put it forth as a fact rather than a working hypothesis with evidentiary backup.
Perhaps a real biologist lurking around here can provide such a source.

I'm an 11-year-old Year 7 student, so don't put all your faith in me... Despite this, I'm quite a Science enthusiast and a top-set student for the subject. Anyway, Biology questions life and opens new paths to Medical Science, which simultaneously enlightens us with newly-found knowledge of all species and lifeforms on Earth and Earth itself. Chemistry, on the other hand, is a rather trial-and-error sort of concept... You try something new and if it doesn't turn out right, you figure out what went wrong, record your results and re-try it... Biology and Chemistry, under some circumstances, can be quite similar; for example, if you're talking about respiration, the system comes under 'Biology' and the gases, chemicals and compounds come under 'Chemistry.'

Likes Danger

Related to Any ideas what makes life, alive?

1. What is the definition of life?

The definition of life is a complex and ongoing debate among scientists. Generally, life is defined as a characteristic that distinguishes physical entities with biological processes from those without such processes.

2. What are the essential characteristics of life?

The essential characteristics of life include organization, metabolism, growth, adaptation, response to stimuli, and reproduction. These characteristics allow living organisms to maintain homeostasis and continue to thrive in their environment.

3. Is there a universal definition of life?

No, there is no universally accepted definition of life. Different scientists and disciplines have their own definitions and criteria for what constitutes life. Some even argue that there may be forms of life that we have yet to discover or understand.

4. What makes something alive rather than just a collection of molecules?

While the exact criteria for determining if something is alive are still debated, living organisms possess a level of complexity and organization that allows them to carry out essential functions such as metabolism and reproduction. Additionally, living organisms have the ability to adapt and respond to their environment, which sets them apart from non-living entities.

5. Can non-living things become alive?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that non-living things can become alive. The process of creating life from non-living matter, known as abiogenesis, is still a topic of research and debate among scientists.