Any Fluke fans out there? (Fluke 87-V DVM questions)

• Thread starter Guineafowl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user's experience with a Fluke 87-V multimeter that they bought on eBay. The user has a few questions about the features of the meter, such as the temperature mode and the built-in thermometer. They also ask about the date of manufacture and the use of the conductance feature and the smoothing function. The user mentions that they have looked for answers on the manufacturer's website and in the manual, but could not find the information they needed. They also share that when shorting the test leads in temperature mode, the meter displays the ambient temperature, which is not mentioned in the manual. Another user explains that this is because of the thermocouple device and how it works. In summary, the
Guineafowl
Hi all,

I've bought a barely-used Fluke 87-V from eBay, and it really is a great meter. Far more than what I need as I don't use it professionally, but I hope it'll be the last meter I ever buy. I have a few questions:

1. If I short the normal test leads in temperature mode, it appears to read ambient temperature, but there is no mention of this feature in the manual. Is this a real feature or an unreliable quirk?

2. How can I find out the date of manufacture? I have the original box.

3. In LCD test mode, there are two RPM symbols, but again no mention in the manual. How do I use this feature? It would be handy for setting small engine idle speeds etc.

4. What can I use the conductance feature for? The range is 0-60 nS. Is it good enough to find insulation faults in transformers?

5. What use is the smoothing function?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bystander said:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have looked on this site, and in the included manual, but other than a brief account of the conductance and smoothing features I can't find the answers I need. I'd like to know what real users use these things for.

For example, the manual and site both mention a 'built-in' thermometer, but only talk of plugging in the thermocouple. There's no indication that you can short the leads and get ambient temp.

Guineafowl said:
1. If I short the normal test leads in temperature mode, it appears to read ambient temperature, but there is no mention of this feature in the manual. Is this a real feature or an unreliable quirk?
I am not that familiar with this particular meter but it sounds like what would happen when shorting the inputs to a thermocouple device. A thermocouple device develops a voltage based on the difference in temperature between the shorted end and open end of pair of thermocouple wires. To get an absolute reading, a separate temp sensor must be used at the measuring end. So, a short circuit to the thermocouple input (zero volts) would cause the meter to read whatever temperature the second temp sensor is.

Likes dlgoff
Averagesupernova said:
I am not that familiar with this particular meter but it sounds like what would happen when shorting the inputs to a thermocouple device. A thermocouple device develops a voltage based on the difference in temperature between the shorted end and open end of pair of thermocouple wires. To get an absolute reading, a separate temp sensor must be used at the measuring end. So, a short circuit to the thermocouple input (zero volts) would cause the meter to read whatever temperature the second temp sensor is.
That's interesting, and seems to be what is happening with my meter. Odd that it's not mentioned in the literature, though.

Guineafowl said:
For example, the manual and site both mention a 'built-in' thermometer, but only talk of plugging in the thermocouple. There's no indication that you can short the leads and get ambient temp.
You cannot. When the meter was new, a thermocouple was included in the box. It looked somewhat like this:
upload_2016-10-31_21-47-11.jpeg

Svein said:
You cannot. When the meter was new, a thermocouple was included in the box. It looked somewhat like this:
View attachment 108288
It did come with a thermocouple, but if I short ordinary test leads together in that mode, a temp reading comes up which matches the room thermometer.

Guineafowl said:
It did come with a thermocouple, but if I short ordinary test leads together in that mode, a temp reading comes up which matches the room thermometer.
Which I explained nicely. To say it cannot is quite simply wrong. A thermocouple gives a voltage based on the temp difference between the shorted and open ends of the thermocouple. It cannot give an absolute temperature reading without a separate temp sensor. So by giving the meter zero input volts this is the same as no temperature difference between the shorted and open ends of the thermocouple wire. The temp displayed will match the temp of the internal sensor in the DVM. I used to work on instruments of this type for a living.

Related to Any Fluke fans out there? (Fluke 87-V DVM questions)

1. What is the Fluke 87-V DVM?

The Fluke 87-V DVM (Digital Voltmeter) is a high-precision electronic instrument used to measure voltage, current, and resistance. It is commonly used in scientific and industrial settings for accurate electrical measurements.

2. What are the main features of the Fluke 87-V DVM?

The Fluke 87-V DVM has a wide range of features including True-RMS AC voltage and current measurements, resistance measurements up to 50 MΩ, frequency measurements up to 200 kHz, and a built-in thermometer for temperature measurements. It also has a large LCD display, data logging capabilities, and a rugged design for durability.

3. What sets the Fluke 87-V DVM apart from other multimeters?

The Fluke 87-V DVM is known for its high accuracy and reliability, making it a top choice for professionals in the electrical and electronics industries. It also has advanced features such as a low pass filter for accurate voltage and frequency measurements on variable speed motor drives, as well as a peak capture function for capturing intermittent signals.

4. How do I use the Fluke 87-V DVM?

The Fluke 87-V DVM comes with a user manual that provides detailed instructions on how to use the instrument. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions to ensure accurate measurements and to avoid any potential hazards. You can also find helpful tutorials and videos online for using the Fluke 87-V DVM.

5. Is the Fluke 87-V DVM suitable for DIY projects?

While the Fluke 87-V DVM is primarily designed for professional use, it can also be used for DIY projects that require precise electrical measurements. However, it is a more advanced instrument and may be more expensive than other multimeters meant for DIY use. It is important to have a good understanding of electronics and proper safety precautions before using the Fluke 87-V DVM for DIY projects.