Answer Sum of Sequence Problem: \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}}

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: I'll play with both.In summary, the sum of \sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n - 1} \right)}}} is equal to 1, as shown by using partial fraction decomposition or by comparing terms with \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)}. The mistake in the original solution was a typo and the concept of partial fraction decomposition may not have been covered in the material.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the Sum of [tex]\sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n - 1} \right)}}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}} = 1} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}} = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}} - a_1 = 1} - a_1 = 1 - \frac{1}{{1\left( {1 + 1} \right)}} = 1 - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}}
[/tex]

But the book says the answer is 1. I can see it being 1 if n=1 in the sumation symbol, but it is n=2, so don't I have to subtract the value of a1 from the sum computed from the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you finding \sum 1/n(n+1) when the question is asking for \sum 1/n(n-1)? (Note the difference in signs.)

tony873004 said:

Homework Statement

Find the Sum of [tex]\sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n - 1} \right)}}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}} = 1} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}} = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}} - a_1 = 1} - a_1 = 1 - \frac{1}{{1\left( {1 + 1} \right)}} = 1 - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}}
[/tex]

But the book says the answer is 1. I can see it being 1 if n=1 in the summation symbol, but it is n=2, so don't I have to subtract the value of a1 from the sum computed from the formula?

You may want to look up partial fraction decomposition. I will explain how you can compute the formula that is given to you (#2). The sum you're interested in can be computed in a similar fashion.

[tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)} = \frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

There is a method for obtaining the right hand side given any rational expression -- you should look this up so that you understand how to apply this idea if you are given more complicated rational expressions as your n-th term in the series.

Now, since

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)} = \sum_{k=1}^\infty \left( \frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1} \right)[/tex]

try writing out a few terms and you should see a pattern. Try to apply this approach to your summation. (Note, as morphism already pointed out, that your summation has subtraction in the denominator, and not addition.)

This type of summation/series is called a telescoping series.

Last edited:
Thanks, I mixed up a + and - sign.

rs1n said:
You may want to look up partial fraction decomposition...

...try writing out a few terms and you should see a pattern...

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n - 1} \right)}} = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n - 1}} - \frac{1}{n} = \left( {\frac{1}{1}} \right)} } + \left( {} \right) + \left( {} \right)...\left( { - \frac{1}{n}} \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{1}{1} - \frac{1}{n} = 1 - 0 = 1[/tex]

Everything but the first and last terms cancel, so now I get 1. But I still don't understand decomposition.

How should I have known to do this:
[tex]\frac{1}{{n\left( {n - 1} \right)}} = \frac{1}{{n - 1}} - \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

You have a minor mistake:

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n\left( {n - 1} \right)}} = \sum_{ n=\mathbf{2}}^\infty \left({\frac{1}{{n - 1}} - \frac{1}{n} \right)[/tex]

Regarding the decomposition, look up partial fractions. It's essentially the reverse of combining two fractions. Judging by your response, perhaps partial fractions have not been covered. Fortunately, there is another method which DOES use the formula in (#2) directly.

Write out a few terms of the sum

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex]

and compare with the terms from

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n-1)} = \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{(n-1)n}[/tex]

(Use the form on the right hand side. Just write out the terms explicitly -- don't simplify)

NOTE THE INDICES; THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

That mistake was a typo. Thanks for catching it. I think we covered partial fractions in the week I was sick. I knew it'd come back to bite me. Thanks for your help! And thanks for the alternate method.

Related to Answer Sum of Sequence Problem: \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}}

What is the formula for the sum of the sequence \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}}?

The formula for the sum of the sequence is \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}} is 1.

What is the value of the first term in the sequence \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}}?

The value of the first term in the sequence is 1/2.

What is the pattern of the sequence \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}}?

The pattern of the sequence is that each term is the reciprocal of the product of n and n-1.

What is the limit of the sequence \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}} as n approaches infinity?

The limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity is 0.

How can the sum of the sequence \sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty {\frac{1}{n(n-1)}} be used in real-world applications?

The sum of this sequence can be used to calculate the probability of events occurring in a certain order, such as in a lottery or in genetics. It can also be used in finance to calculate the present value of a series of future payments. Additionally, it has applications in physics and engineering when dealing with infinite series.