Another vector problem -- A ball suspended from 3 wires

In summary: And we do try to help.There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here. I'm glad you found us. Welcome to the PF.
max1995
Question

A ball with a mass 4 kg is suspended from 3 light in-extensible wires (diagram given)
Given that the ball is in equilibrium, calculate the tension in each of the wires.

My attempt

T1 is equal to the weight of the ball which is 4g
so T1 = 4g

From there I don't know what to do but for T3 is the vertical component equal to 4g and to find T3 you can do 4gcos(70)= T3?

is the above for T3 right? If not how do I do it?

Not sure how to do T2 could someone please explain?

Thanks

Attachments

• 10799563_891489117527907_380576011_n.jpg
    10799563_891489117527907_380576011_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Work with the horizontal components first. We know the horizontal components of T2 and T3 must be equal in magnitude. You can then relate T2 and T3.

You know the angles the tension forces make to each other, and you know one magnitude.
You know how to add vectors head-to-tail ... and you know what shape these vectors have to make when you do that.
You know some rules for finding lengths of sides when you know the angles.
(Or split everything into horizontal and vertical components...)

Vagn said:
Work with the horizontal components first. We know the horizontal components of T2 and T3 must be equal in magnitude. You can then relate T2 and T3.

Thank you for the help :)

so horizontal of T2=T2cos60
horizontal of T3= T3sin70
so T2cos60=T3sin70 (is this right?)

OK so far. Now, can you come up with a similar equation using the vertical components of T1, T2 and T3?

jtbell said:
OK so far. Now, can you come up with a similar equation using the vertical components of T1, T2 and T3?
T3cos(70)= vertical of T3
T2sin(60)= vertical of T2
T1=4g

Does this mean that for the verticals of the tensions 4g=T3cos(70) + T2sin(60)?

max1995 said:
4g=T3cos(70) + T2sin(60)?

Not quite. T2 is upwards. T1 and T3 are downwards.

jtbell said:
Not quite. T2 is upwards. T1 and T3 are downwards.

Okay so the verticals of T1 and T3 must equal the vertical of T2?

Correct.

With horizontal components, the total to the left equals the total to the right.
With vertical components, the total upwards equals the total downwards.

(for a system in equlibrium, like this one.)

jtbell said:
Correct.

With horizontal components, the total to the left equals the total to the right.
With vertical components, the total upwards equals the total downwards.

(for a system in equlibrium, like this one.)

I don't understand what to do after that because substituting in the equations means the tensions cancel out of the equation?

You have two equations in two unknowns, T2 and T3. They should not cancel out when you solve the equations together. If they do, you've made a mistake in your algebra. Can you show your work?

jtbell said:
You have two equations in two unknowns, T2 and T3. They should not cancel out when you solve the equations together. If they do, you've made a mistake in your algebra. Can you show your work?

Starting equations:
T2cos(60)=T3sin(70)
T2(sin60) = T3cos(70) + 4g

Then do I rearrange one of them to make one of the T's the subject and sub it into the other equation?Thank you for all the help btw :)

max1995 said:
Then do I rearrange one of them to make one of the T's the subject and sub it into the other equation?

Exactly. :D

jtbell said:
Exactly. :D

Would you be able to give me an example of how to rearrange and substitute these equations to find one of the tensions? as I am having trouble doing this

Show us what you've tried and where you get "stuck" and I or someone else can probably help you get "unstuck."

jtbell said:
Show us what you've tried and where you get "stuck" and I or someone else can probably help you get "unstuck."

Starting equations:
T2cos(60)=T3sin(70) (Equation 1)
T2(sin60) = T3cos(70) + 4g (Equation 2)

Rearranging T2(sin60) = T3cos(70) + 4g to get T2 = (T3cos(70) + 4g)/sin(60) then substitue it into equation 1

this gives (T3cos(70) + 4g)/sin(60)xcos(60) = T3sin(70)

then divided both sides by cos(60) to give

(T3cos(70) + 4g)/sin(60) = (T3sin(70))/cos60

Times both sides by (sin60)

(T3cos(70) + 4g = [(T3sin(70))/cos60]x sin60

this gives in numerical form

0.3420201433T3 + 39.24 = 1.627595363T3

Then subtract 0.3420201433T3 from both sides

39.24 = 1.28557522T3

then divde both sides by 1.28557522

T3 = 30.52N

for T3 this is what I got, is it correct?

I'm starting to look over your algebra, but you can check the final answers yourself. Use your value of T3 to find T2, then substitute both into your starting equations (at the top of your post) and see if they work out.

It looks OK to me so far. I wasn't sure at first because in your first post I missed the mass of the ball being "4 kg" and assumed that by "4g" in your equations you meant 4 grams. :oops: So I got a different number for T3 at first. I fixed that and now we agree.

Likes max1995
jtbell said:
It looks OK to me so far. I wasn't sure at first because in your first post I missed the mass of the ball being "4 kg" and assumed that by "4g" in your equations you meant 4 grams. :oops: So I got a different number for T3 at first. I fixed that and now we agree.

yeah sorry i mean 4 times by gravity when saying 4g
Okay thank you for all the help :D

to find T2 is it alright just to sub in my value of T3 into one of my first equations to get its value?

Also is there a rep system on here so I can rep you? (new to this forum)

max1995 said:
o find T2 is it alright just to sub in my value of T3 into one of my first equations to get its value?

Right. Either equation should work. If you try both of them and get the same value for T2, that will also serve as a check.

max1995 said:
is there a rep system on here

Not the kind that I think you're thinking of. We have other ways of identifying the "good guys."

Likes max1995
There's a "like" button below threads.

I like the geometric approach.

You have ##\vec T_1 + \vec T_2 +\vec T_3 = 0##
Draw those head-to-tail and you get a triangle.
Sketch out a scalene triangle but the ##T_1## side is vertical - try to get the directions approximately right.
Label the triangle like you would in maths class: the sides are a-b-c going clockwise around from ##T_1##
The angles opposite the sides are labelled with the capitol letters so A is opposite a etc.

So:
##a=T_1=mg,\; b=T_2,\; c=T_3## ... easy.
The angles have to be worked out carefully ...
c makes 70deg to the vertical, so the external angle between c and a is 70deg, so B=180-70=110
b makes 60deg to the horizontal, which is 150deg to the vertical, so the exterior angle between a and b is 150deg, so C=180-150=30deg
That means that A=180-110-30=40deg
Now you can use the sine rule to find ##T_2## and ##T_3##

You'd actually end up with the same equatons - only faster with less chance of making an algebraic slipup.

Likes max1995

Related to Another vector problem -- A ball suspended from 3 wires

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe the vector forces acting on a ball suspended by three wires.

What are the materials needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a ball, three wires, a support stand, a ruler, and a protractor.

How are the wires attached to the ball and support stand?

The wires are attached to the ball and support stand using clamps or hooks.

What are the variables in this experiment?

The variables in this experiment include the length and angle of the wires, the mass of the ball, and the force applied by the wires.

What is the expected outcome of this experiment?

The expected outcome of this experiment is to see the ball suspended in equilibrium, with the forces of tension in the wires balancing each other out.