Anisotropic Modulus of elasticity and Poisson's ratio

In summary, the conversation is about using experimental data to calculate the modulus of elasticity and Poisson's ratio for an anisotropic material. The person has 6 known values (stresses and strains in three directions) and 6 unknowns (modulus and Poisson's ratio in three directions). They have found a formula in a rock mechanics book but it only gives three equations if the shear stress is ignored. They are seeking help to solve their problem.
rabbahs
Hi,
I have some experimental data and I am interested to use this data to calculated modulus of elasticiy (young's modulus) and Poisson's ratio. The material for which the data is given in an anisotropic material, therefore I need to calculate modulus of elasticity and poisson's ration is x,y and z direction.
the data which I have is the stress in three direction and corresponding strain in three direction.

So , my problem is simple.
Knows: sigma_x, sigma_y, sigma_z, epsilon_x, epsilon_y, epsilon_y (6 knows)
Unknows: Ex, Ey, Ez, Vxy, Vyx, Vxz (6 unknows).

I have seen a formula in rock mechanics book (see the following image), but it will resolve into only three equation if the shear stress is ignored.

Please help me out.
Thanks
Syed

upload_2014-11-4_14-29-14-png.75095.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Anisotropic Modulus of elasticity and Poisson's ratio

What is the definition of anisotropic modulus of elasticity?

Anisotropic modulus of elasticity is a material property that describes the resistance of a material to deform under stress in different directions. It is a measure of the stiffness of a material in specific directions, as opposed to a single value for all directions.

What factors affect the anisotropic modulus of elasticity?

The anisotropic modulus of elasticity is affected by the structure and composition of a material, as well as the direction and magnitude of the applied stress. Crystalline materials with distinct crystallographic orientations tend to have higher anisotropic moduli compared to amorphous materials.

How is the anisotropic modulus of elasticity measured?

The anisotropic modulus of elasticity is typically measured using techniques such as tensile or compression testing, where the material is subjected to stress in different directions and the corresponding strain is measured. It can also be determined through ultrasonic or acoustic methods.

What is Poisson's ratio and how is it related to anisotropic modulus of elasticity?

Poisson's ratio is a dimensionless quantity that describes the ratio of lateral strain to axial strain in a material under stress. It is related to the anisotropic modulus of elasticity as it can be used to determine the stiffness of a material in a specific direction, given the modulus of elasticity in the other direction.

What are some practical applications of understanding anisotropic modulus of elasticity and Poisson's ratio?

Knowledge of anisotropic modulus of elasticity and Poisson's ratio is important in material design and engineering, particularly in the aerospace and automotive industries. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of biological tissues and structures, such as bones and plant fibers. In addition, anisotropic materials are used in various consumer products such as electronics and sporting goods, and an understanding of their properties is necessary for product development and performance optimization.