Angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a general formula for Angular Momentum radiated away from quadrupolar electromagnetic radiation. The speaker mentions searching through books and finding a formula using dimensional analysis and energy radiated away. They ask for confirmation and references, but receive no response. Finally, the speaker shares a standard well-known result for the energy radiated away from the quadrupole contribution.
Barnak
I'm looking for the general formula for Angular Momentum radiated away from quadrupolar electromagnetic radiation. I searched the usual books (Jackson, Landau-Lifchitz, ...) and just found the usual dipolar contributions.

Using dimensional analysis and energy radiated away, I found this formula, but I need a confirmation that it's the right one.

[itex]\frac{dL_i}{dt} = - \frac{1}{90} \, \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 c^5} \, \varepsilon_{ijk} \; \ddot{Q}_{jl} \; \dddot{Q}_{lk}.[/itex]

Someone has a comment on this ? Any reference ?

Science news on Phys.org
Nobody knows anything about electromagnetic radiation here ?

For reference, the energy radiated away from the quadrupole contribution is

[itex]\frac{dE}{dt} = -\: \frac{1}{180} \, \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 c^5} \; \dddot{Q}_{ij} \; \dddot{Q}_{ij}.[/itex]

This is a standard well-known result.

Last edited:

Related to Angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation

1. What is angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation?

Angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation is a phenomenon in which a spinning body, such as a star or a planet, loses angular momentum due to the emission of electromagnetic radiation. This loss of angular momentum can affect the rotational speed and stability of the body.

2. How does quadrupole EM radiation cause angular momentum loss?

Quadrupole EM radiation is produced when there is a non-uniform distribution of electric charge in a spinning body. As the body rotates, the changing electric and magnetic fields create an electromagnetic wave that carries away angular momentum from the body. This process is known as the "quadrupole radiation mechanism."

3. What types of objects experience angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation?

Any spinning body with an uneven distribution of electric charge, such as stars, planets, and pulsars, can experience angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation. This phenomenon is most commonly observed in rapidly rotating objects.

4. How does angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation affect the evolution of a celestial body?

The loss of angular momentum from quadrupole EM radiation can cause a spinning body to slow down and eventually stop rotating. This can affect the body's orbit and can lead to changes in its structure and stability over time. In some cases, it can also lead to the formation of binary systems or other gravitational interactions with neighboring objects.

5. Can angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation be observed or measured?

Yes, angular momentum loss from quadrupole EM radiation can be observed and measured through various methods, such as studying the rotational properties of pulsars or analyzing the orbital dynamics of binary systems. It is an important factor to consider in the study of celestial bodies and their evolution.