Angular momentum conservation.

In summary: So, in summary, the principle is that there is no torque acting on the cylinder while it slips, and the conclusion is that angular momentum is conserved.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I have some doubts about an example I've found on the Ingard book of mechanics, matter and waves.

It says:
It is given to a homogeneous cylinder a horizontal speed V1 and an angular speed in opposed sense to that of the needles of the clock [tex]\omega_1=\frac{V_1}{R}[/tex] in the exempt part of frictions of a horizontal surface. But there of the point A, it changes the surface so that to the right of A the friction coefficient it is [tex]\mu[/tex]

attachment.php?attachmentid=32143&stc=1&d=1297461416.png

Once it has happened of A the cylinder, will slip firstly on the rough plan, but it will finish rotating without slipping. In that point when it began to rotate without slipping which will the speed corresponding of the center of mass be?
The only force that it is exercised on the body in the address of the movement it's the contact force and in consequence, their action line is in the plane. Therefore, the angular moment of the cylinder regarding a point of reference of the plane, will remain constant during the whole movement.

I don't understand how its deduced that the angular momentum will be conservative respect a point over the plane. Could somebody help me to make this clear? The underline and the bold marks the principle and conclusion that I don't understand. How does it implies that the force is actioned over the plane the conservation of angular momentum?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ingard2.PNG
    ingard2.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
The question whether there is a change in angular momentum reduces to the very simple question: is there any torque acting on the cylinder? Angular momentum (L) will be constant only if the torque (= rate of change of L) is 0: [itex]\tau = dL/dt[/itex]

If I understand the question correctly, it appears to me that there is a torque on the cylinder while it slips on the frictional surface. T magnitude of L not only changes: its direction reverses.

AM

Yes, I think I got it. There is no torque because its making the considerations taking a point over the plane, which means r=0, and that's way angular momentum conserves for any point over the plane.

Thank you Andrew.

Related to Angular momentum conservation.

1. What is angular momentum conservation?

Angular momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. It is similar to the conservation of linear momentum, but it applies to rotational motion instead.

2. Why is angular momentum conservation important?

Angular momentum conservation is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that allows us to understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems. It is used in fields such as mechanics, astrophysics, and engineering to study the motion of spinning objects and systems.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because of the law of action and reaction. When an object or system experiences a torque, it will exert an equal and opposite torque in the opposite direction, thus keeping the total angular momentum constant.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions, interactions, or external forces. However, the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant, meaning that any changes in one object's angular momentum will be compensated by an equal and opposite change in another object's angular momentum.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum conservation?

Some examples of angular momentum conservation in everyday life include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the movement of a planet around the sun. In all of these cases, the total angular momentum remains constant despite any external forces acting on the objects.