Angular Acceleration of a Model Rocket

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a model rocket generating thrust and spinning in a horizontal circle at the end of a rigid rod. The goal is to calculate the angular acceleration of the rocket, using equations for torque and angular acceleration. The attempts at a solution involve setting equations equal, calculating the moment of inertia, and using the formula T = I x α. Ultimately, the problem is solved by correctly calculating the moment of inertia.
x2008kwa

Homework Statement

I'm getting this problem wrong and I'm not quite sure why.

The 200 g model rocket shown in the figure generates 4.0 N of thrust. It spins in a horizontal circle at the end of a 100 g rigid rod.
What is its angular acceleration (in rad/s2)?

knight_Figure_13_24.jpg

Homework Equations

T= r x F x sinθ

T=mr2α

where T is torque and α is angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

(.600m)(4.0N)(sin45) = (.100kg + .200kg)(.600m)2 α

I set these two equations as equal. I ended up with an answer of 15.7 and it is wrong according to masteringphysics... One possible source of error that I'm thinking of is that the question asks for the answer in rad/s2... would this be in those units or would I need to convert it somehow? More than likely my mistake lies somewhere else.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moment of inertia of rod and rocket system is (m*r^2)/3 +
M*r^2
Now try.

Last edited:
I used that method, I = (.300kg)(.600)2/3 + (.300)(.600)2
and got the moment of inertia to be 0.144.
I then used the formula T = I x α therefore (1.697) = (.144)α
and got an answer of 11.8... which was incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Use I = (.100kg)(.600)^2)/3 + (.200)(.600)^2

Problem solved. Thank you very much for the help rl.bhat

Related to Angular Acceleration of a Model Rocket

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or changing direction.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated as the change in angular velocity divided by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

How does angular acceleration differ from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, while linear acceleration is the rate of change of linear velocity. In other words, angular acceleration describes how an object is rotating, while linear acceleration describes how an object is moving in a straight line.

What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a model rocket?

The angular acceleration of a model rocket can be affected by factors such as the weight and shape of the rocket, the force and direction of the thrust, air resistance, and the stability of the rocket's fins.

How can angular acceleration be used in designing a model rocket?

Understanding angular acceleration can help in designing a model rocket that can reach desired heights and perform specific maneuvers. By adjusting factors such as weight distribution and thrust, one can manipulate the angular acceleration of the rocket to achieve desired results.