Angle of rotation in fixed end of beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fixed end moments and their values in different support conditions. The question is raised as to why the angle of rotation is zero in a fixed support condition, when the fixed end is able to resist shear force. The conversation also mentions using the conjugate beam method to determine the angle of rotation, and asks for clarification on the clarity of the provided images.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In the first photo , i was told that the fixed end moment is zero when the far end is pinned or roller supported . Why in the example in the second and third photo( both end are fixed) , the angle is zero ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's wrong , because the fixed end must be able to resist shear force . In conjugate beam method , angle of rotation = shear force . So , as the fixed end can resist the moment , there must be some values for the angle if rotation , am i right ?

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 546
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately your pictures are almost unreadable (and completely unreadable on a mobile device). Could we ask you to take a moment to generate your own images capturing the essential part of the problem?

Likes fonseh
Nugatory said:
Unfortunately your pictures are almost unreadable (and completely unreadable on a mobile device). Could we ask you to take a moment to generate your own images capturing the essential part of the problem?
Which picture is not clear ?

They seem to look better than when I first looked at them. Did you fix them?

berkeman said:
They seem to look better than when I first looked at them. Did you fix them?
No, I didn't do anything to the diagram ...

new photo uploaded , can someone try to help now ?

Attachments

• 557.PNG
    557.PNG
    61.6 KB · Views: 511
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 429
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 441
bump

Related to Angle of rotation in fixed end of beam

1. What is the angle of rotation in the fixed end of a beam?

The angle of rotation in the fixed end of a beam refers to the amount of rotation that occurs at the point where the beam is attached or supported. This rotation is caused by external forces acting on the beam, such as weight or applied loads.

2. How is the angle of rotation calculated?

The angle of rotation in a fixed end of a beam can be calculated using the formula θ = FL^3 / 3EI, where θ is the angle of rotation, F is the applied force, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia. This formula is derived from the principles of mechanics and is commonly used in structural engineering calculations.

3. What factors affect the angle of rotation in a fixed end of a beam?

The angle of rotation in a fixed end of a beam is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and location of applied loads, the length and stiffness of the beam, and the material properties of the beam. Additionally, the type of support at the fixed end (e.g. pinned or rigid) can also affect the amount of rotation.

4. Why is the angle of rotation important in structural engineering?

The angle of rotation is an important consideration in structural engineering because it can affect the overall stability and strength of a structure. Excessive rotation can lead to structural failure, while insufficient rotation can result in overstressing of the beam and potential damage. Accurate calculation and analysis of the angle of rotation is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of a structure.

5. Can the angle of rotation be reduced or eliminated?

In some cases, it is possible to reduce or eliminate the angle of rotation in a fixed end of a beam through the use of additional supports, such as braces or columns. However, this may also increase the complexity and cost of the structure. In other cases, the angle of rotation may be limited by design codes and regulations to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.