Angle of Incidence on a spherical lens

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of finding the incident angle on a convex lens, specifically on the first and internal surfaces. There is confusion about whether the angle of incidence is measured to a normal or tangent line at the point of incidence. It is also unclear how to find the angle of incidence on the second surface interface given the first angle of refraction. The use of derivatives in finding the angle of incidence is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a description of a triangular prism that can be drawn inside the circle to help understand the concept. The angle of incidence is measured from the normal, which is the extension of the radius at the point on the circle.
Mitch0
Firstly, I'm sorry if this is incorrect or if there is a specific place for such questions but as this is neither a problem posed to me, nor something that has been taught - I have little background with which to work with but it is something I need to do for my ERT and 2 maths teachers have been unsuccessful in explaining it.

My dilemma is how to find the incident angle on a convex lens (so any portion of a circle) on the first side, and on the internal surface as it leaves the lens.
I was slightly confused about the normal vs. tangent lines to the curve.

So firstly, is the angle of incidence measured to a normal that is 90* (So, vertically through the lens) or the tangent at that angle of the curve (from the centre of the circle)?
And then how do you find the angle of incidence internally at the second surface interface given the first angle of refraction?
I know how to find the angle of incidence given the angle of the interface, such as on a prism... but how do you find it for a circle, and can it be done with the derivative of the function of a circle? (Or do I also misunderstand the use of derivatives??)

I'm pretty lost on all of this. :/

The only thing my teacher could give me was a triangular prism (which could be drawn inside the circle) where given the angle of refraction was 27 degrees. Then a+b = 180* therefore 27* + b + c2 = 180*.
Where a is the top of the prism, b is the midpoint in line with a, but lower than and between the first interface and the exit interface. Unfortunately I don't know what C refers to as his diagram is so small and he gave no other notes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle of incidence is measured from the normal.

The normal at a point on a circle is the extension of the radius at that point.

Related to Angle of Incidence on a spherical lens

What is the angle of incidence on a spherical lens?

The angle of incidence on a spherical lens refers to the angle at which a ray of light enters the lens. It is measured between the incoming ray and a line perpendicular to the surface of the lens at the point of incidence.

How does the angle of incidence affect the behavior of light passing through a spherical lens?

The angle of incidence determines the amount of refraction that occurs as light passes through a spherical lens. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the angle of refraction and the more the light is bent.

What is the critical angle of incidence for a spherical lens?

The critical angle of incidence is the angle at which light passing through a spherical lens will be refracted to an angle of 90 degrees. This angle depends on the indices of refraction of the materials on either side of the lens.

How does the shape of a spherical lens affect the angle of incidence?

The shape of a spherical lens, specifically its curvature, determines the angle of incidence at which light will be focused to a point. A flatter lens will have a larger focal length and require a smaller angle of incidence to focus light, while a more curved lens will have a smaller focal length and require a larger angle of incidence.

What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction on a spherical lens?

According to Snell's law, there is a relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction on a spherical lens. This relationship is given by the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the indices of refraction of the two materials and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.