Android: Delivered & Read Messages

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Android
In summary, the person texted someone named Dave and noticed that their messages had a "Read" tag next to them. However, after a heated exchange, their messages only had a "Delivered" tag and the person is wondering if Dave may have blocked them or not read their messages on purpose. They also suggest that the "Read" tag may not always show up even if the message has been read.
kyphysics
Might this be someone who either blocked me or didn't read my latest message on Android phone?

I texted a person we'll call Dave (not his real name). There is a "Read" tag next to these messages with a time-stamp. Pretty nifty of Android to let me know when it was read.

However, we had a contentious exchange via text and I asked him tough questions (that he is dodging I am guessing) and he never responded (for several days). Those texts have a "Delivered" tag, but not the "Read" tag as with the earlier ones (pre-argument).

For those familiar with this phone OS, what could this mean? My guesses were:
a.) He got the texts, but didn't click on them (possibly seeing in the preview something he didn't want to talk about).
b.) He blocked me.
c.) He got the texts, read them, but just doesn't want to respond.

c.) seems unlikely, given other texts have said "Read". . .Does the "Read" tag ever just randomly not show even if someone read your text?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have no idea about android, but in windows outlook when a sender includes a "tell me when read" request, outlook asks you whether you want the sender to see if the email has been read and you can say no.

Last edited:
Likes kyphysics and berkeman