Analytic is UHP to unit disc

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc Unit
In summary, the most general analytic isomorphism of the open upper half plane, $\mathcal{H}$, onto the open unit disc is of the form $T(z) = e^{i\varphi}\frac{z - a}{z - \bar{z}}$.
Dustinsfl
Prove that the most general analytic isomorphism of the open upper half plane, $\mathcal{H}$, onto the open unit disc is of the form
$$
T(z) = e^{i\varphi}\frac{z - a}{z - \bar{z}}
$$
for some $\varphi\in\mathbb{R}$ and some $a\in\mathbb{C}$ with $\text{Im}(a) > 0$

I need some guidance here. Opalg keeps suggestion to multiple by the conjugate so as a stab in the dark should I multiple by the conjugate here as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Prove that the most general analytic isomorphism of the open upper half plane, $\mathcal{H}$, onto the open unit disc is of the form
$$
T(z) = e^{i\varphi}\frac{z - a}{z - \bar{z}}
$$
for some $\varphi\in\mathbb{R}$ and some $a\in\mathbb{C}$ with $\text{Im}(a) > 0$

I need some guidance here. Opalg keeps suggestion to multiple by the conjugate so as a stab in the dark should I multiple by the conjugate here as well?

Are you sure that shouldn't be $\overline{z}-a$ in the denominator?

Tinyboss said:
Are you sure that shouldn't be $\overline{z}-a$ in the denominator?
It should be $z-\bar{a}$. (If $T(z)$ has any $\bar{z}$s then it won't be analytic.)

Yes it was supposed to be \bar{z}. How should I proceed then?

dwsmith said:
Yes it was supposed to be \bar{z}. How should I proceed then?

I meant \bar{a} sorry.

Given an analytic isomorphism $T(z)$ of $\mathcal{H}$ onto the open unit disc, let $a = T^{-1}(0)$, and define $f(z) = \dfrac{z - a}{z - \bar{a}}$. Notice that any point $z\in \mathcal{H}$ is closer to $a$ than it is to $\bar{a}$, and therefore $f$ maps $\mathcal{H}$ into the open unit disc (and in fact you should show that $f$ maps $\mathcal{H}$ onto the open unit disc). Thus $f(z)$ is an analytic isomorphism from $\mathcal{H}$ onto the open unit disc. Therefore the map $x\mapsto f(H^{-1}(z))$ is an analytic isomorphism from the open unit disc onto itself that fixes the point 0. Now use Schwarz's lemma.

Why have we disregarded $e^{i\varphi}$?

dwsmith said:
Why have we disregarded $e^{i\varphi}$?
That comes in at the end of the proof, when you apply Schwarz's lemma.

I know that $\psi:\mathcal{H}\to\mathbb{D}$ by $\psi(z):\dfrac{z-i}{z+i}$ maps the upper half plane into the unit disc.

The analytic isomorphism of $\varphi:\mathbb{D}\to\mathbb{D}$ are $\varphi(z)=e^{i\theta}\dfrac{a-z}{1-\bar{a}z}$.

By function composition $\psi\circ\varphi$, I obatin
$$
e^{i\theta}\frac{a(z+i)-(z-i)}{z+i-\bar{a}(z-i)}.
$$

How does this simplify down to
$$
e^{i\theta}\frac{z-a}{z-\bar{a}}
$$
though?

I know that the composition is supposed to yield the correct result but no matter the order, I can't get it.

Last edited:
Let $f:\mathcal{H}\to\mathbb{D}$ by $f(z) = \dfrac{z - i}{z + i}$.
By Lang (p. 215), we see that $f$ maps the upper half plane into the unit disc.
Let $g:\mathbb{D}\to\mathbb{D}$ by $g(z) = e^{i\theta}\dfrac{z - a}{\bar{a}z - 1}$.
Then
$$
(g\circ f)(z) = e^{i\theta}\frac{z(1 - a) - i(1 + a)}{z(\bar{a} - 1) - i(\bar{a} + 1)} = e^{i\theta}\left(\frac{1 - a}{\bar{a} - 1}\right)\frac{z - i \left(\frac{1 + a}{1 - a}\right)}{z - i \left(\frac{\bar{a} + 1}{\bar{a} - 1}\right)}.
$$
So let $\alpha = i\dfrac{1 + a}{1 - a}$.
Then $\overline{\alpha} = i\dfrac{1 + \bar{a}}{\bar{a} - 1}$.
Thus
$$
(g\circ f)(z) = e^{i\theta}\left(\frac{1 - a}{\bar{a} - 1}\right)\frac{z - \alpha}{z - \overline{\alpha}}.
$$
Since $\left|e^{i\theta}\left(\dfrac{1 - a}{\bar{a} - 1}\right)\right| = 1$, this expression lies on the unit circle and can be written as $e^{i\varphi}$.
So
$$
(g\circ f)(z) = e^{i\varphi}\frac{z - \alpha}{z - \overline{\alpha}} = T(z).
$$

Related to Analytic is UHP to unit disc

1. What is the definition of "Analytic is UHP to unit disc"?

Analytic is UHP to unit disc refers to the property of a function being analytic in the upper half-plane (UHP) and mapping points in the UHP onto points in the unit disc. This means that the function is defined and differentiable in the UHP and its image lies within the unit disc.

2. What is the significance of "Analytic is UHP to unit disc" in complex analysis?

"Analytic is UHP to unit disc" is a key property in complex analysis as it allows for the construction of conformal maps between the UHP and the unit disc. These maps preserve angles, making them useful for solving problems involving complex functions and geometry.

3. How is the "Analytic is UHP to unit disc" property applied in real-world scenarios?

The "Analytic is UHP to unit disc" property has many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields that utilize complex analysis. It can be used to model and analyze fluid flow, heat transfer, and electromagnetic fields, among other things.

4. Can a function be analytic in the UHP but not map to the unit disc?

Yes, a function can be analytic in the UHP but not map to the unit disc. This means that the function is defined and differentiable in the UHP, but its image may lie outside of the unit disc. In this case, the function is not considered to have the "Analytic is UHP to unit disc" property.

5. How is the "Analytic is UHP to unit disc" property related to other properties in complex analysis?

The "Analytic is UHP to unit disc" property is closely related to other properties such as conformality, holomorphicity, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These properties all describe different aspects of analyticity and are important in understanding complex functions and their behavior.