An Alternative Variance Formula

In summary, the speakers discuss an expression for the variance of a random variable, which is more complicated than other equations but has potential practical applications. They also suggest that this formula could motivate statistics to test for independent random samples and consider a natural cubic expression to follow up with.
mathman
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Interesting formula for variance
I derived (trivially) an expression for the variance of a random variable (which I had never noticed before). Let ##X## be a random variable with cdf ##F(x)## then (assuming finite second moment). ##Var(X)=\frac{1}{2}\int\int (x-y)^2dF(x)dF(y)##.

Is this expression of any use?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks so much more complicated than other equations that I can't think of a use for it.
This seems much more convenient: ##Var(X) = \int {X^2}dF - (\int X dF)^2##

PS. I have not taken time to verify your formula. I do not see it immediately.

FactChecker said:
It looks so much more complicated than other equations that I can't think of a use for it.
This seems much more convenient: ##Var(X) = \int {X^2}dF - (\int X dF)^2##

PS. I have not taken time to verify your formula. I do not see it immediately.
##(x-y)^2=x^2+y^2-2xy## gives the usual formula.

Likes hutchphd and FactChecker
I think it's pretty neat.

mathman said:
Is this expression of any use?

The focus in practical statistics is on estimators of populatiom parameters and sample statistics rather than the population parameters themselves. Since the formula relies on the model that we are taking independent random samples, perhaps it can motivate a statistic to test whether we actually have independent random samples. The term ##(x-y)## comparing different samples suggests the result would be influenced by any correlations. Perhaps there are already well-known statistics that we can understand to be motivated by the formula.

Is there a natural cubic expression to follow up with? You have ##xF(x)## for expected values, ##\frac{1}{2}(x-y)^2F(x)F(y)## for variance, seems like there should be a nice ##\frac{1}{6}P(x,y,z)F(x)F(y)F(z)## term for some cubic polynomial P to calculate a meaningful third moment term.

Related to An Alternative Variance Formula

1. What is an alternative variance formula?

An alternative variance formula is a mathematical equation used to measure the spread or variability of a set of data. It is an alternative to the traditional variance formula, which is the average of the squared differences from the mean.

2. How is the alternative variance formula calculated?

The alternative variance formula is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences from the median, divided by the number of data points minus one. This is also known as the sample variance formula.

3. What are the advantages of using the alternative variance formula?

One advantage of the alternative variance formula is that it is less sensitive to extreme values in the data set compared to the traditional variance formula. It can also be more accurate for data sets that are not normally distributed.

4. When should the alternative variance formula be used?

The alternative variance formula should be used when the data set is not normally distributed or when there are extreme values present. It is also useful when the data set is small and a more accurate measure of variability is needed.

5. Are there any limitations to the alternative variance formula?

Yes, there are limitations to the alternative variance formula. It is not suitable for data sets that are normally distributed, as the traditional variance formula is more accurate in this case. It is also not recommended for large data sets, as it can be more computationally intensive compared to the traditional variance formula.