An abomination of a series.... Can anyone help?

• MHB
  • Thread starter DreamWeaver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the Second Order Clausen function and the Laplace transform of a function. The speaker has been trying to evaluate the Laplace transform of the Clausen function and is seeking help from others. They also mention considering the Clausen function of First Order and the dilogarithm. There is a suggestion to use the digamma function and the recurrence and reflection formulas in finding the Laplace transforms. There is also mention of the possibility of writing the series representation in terms of the hypergeometric function.
DreamWeaver
Hi all! (Sun)

I'm utterly at a loss here, so I was wondering if one of you kind souls would, or even could, for that matter, take pity on me and help out on this exceedingly vexatious problem...?Define the Second Order Clausen function by:\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_2(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin kx}{k^2}\)And the Laplace transform of a function \(\displaystyle f(x)\) by:\(\displaystyle \mathfrak{L}(f) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-wx}f(x)\, dx = F(w)\)I've been trying to evaluate the Laplace Transform of the Clausen function. Here's what I've got so far:\(\displaystyle \mathfrak{L}(\text{Cl}_2(x)) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-wx}\, \text{Cl}_2(x)\, dx = \)\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2}\, \int_0^{\infty} e^{-wx}\sin kx\, dx \)As I've shown in the Laplace Transform tutorial thread (see post #3 here http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/laplace-transforms-proofs-10892.html ):For \(\displaystyle \mathscr{Re}(w) > |\mathscr{Im}(a)|\)\(\displaystyle \mathfrak{L}(\sin ax) = \frac{a}{w^2+a^2} \)[NB. I forgot to add these conditions in the tutorial, and now it's too late to edit. :eek::eek::eek: ]Since the summation index, \(\displaystyle k\), of the Clausen function, \(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_2(x)\), is a nonzero, positive integer \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{N}\), then \(\displaystyle \mathfrak{L}(\text{Cl}_2(x)) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2}\, \left[ \frac{k}{k^2+w^2}\right] = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k(k^2+w^2)}\)The thing is, I'm sure I've seen series like this before, but for the life of me, I can't think where, or in what context... Can anyone help?Incidentally, at the very least, my efforts so far aren't entirely fruitless, as I have the inverse Laplace Transform\(\displaystyle \mathfrak{L}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k(k^2+w^2)} \right) = \text{Cl}_2(x)\)It's pretty slim comfort, mind... (Worried)(Doh)

Physics news on Phys.org
Alternatively, I've also been considering the Clausen function of First Order:\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_1(x) = -\log \Bigg| 2\sin \frac{x}{2} \Bigg| = \frac{d}{dx}\, \text{Cl}_2(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos kx}{k}\)Here's what I get:\(\displaystyle \mathfrak{L}(\text{Cl}_1(x)) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k}\, \int_0^{\infty}e^{-wx}\cos kx\, dx = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k} \left[ \frac{w}{k^2+w^2} \right]\)Again, I gen an abominable series that looks annoyingly familiar. Grrrr... (Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)

We can write the summand as

$$\frac{1}{k(k^2+w^2)}=\frac{i}{2w}\left( \frac{1}{k(k+iw)}-\frac{1}{k(k-iw)}\right)$$

Then use the digamma function.

ZaidAlyafey said:
We can write the summand as

$$\frac{1}{k(k^2+w^2)}=\frac{i}{2w}\left( \frac{1}{k(k+iw)}-\frac{1}{k(k-iw)}\right)$$

Then use the digamma function.
Ha ha! What a silly mammal! [Me, that is, not you] Thanks mate! I'll give that a whirl... (Handshake)

Would be nice to nail the Laplace Transform of the Clausen function. Especially for a Clausen-fetishist like myself... (Bandit)

Cheers! (Sun)

You can then use the recurrence and reflection formulas to obtain

$$\psi(1+x)-\psi(1-x)=\frac{1}{x}-\pi \cot (\pi x)$$

Also, on the subject of strange, unusual, insane, and mildly titillating Laplace Transforms, this one also looks quite interesting/scary/arousing/abominable [delete as applicable - though I'll delete none of them! None of them, I tell ya! Arrr... ].Define the Dilogarithm in the usual way (for \(\displaystyle -1 \le x \le 1\)):\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_2(x) = -\int_0^1\frac{\log(1-xt)}{t}\, dt = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{x^k}{k^2}\)Then\(\displaystyle \mathfrak{L}(\text{Li}_2(x)) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2}\, \int_0^{\infty} x^k e^{-wx}\, dx = \)\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2}\, \left[ \frac{1}{w}\, \int_0^{\infty}e^{-t}\left( \frac{t}{w} \right)^k \, dt \right] = \)
\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(1/w)^{k+1}\, \Gamma(k+1) }{k^2} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k!\, (1/w)^{k+1} }{k^2} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(k-1)!\, (1/w)^{k+1} }{k}\)
\(\displaystyle \therefore\quad \mathfrak{L}(\text{Li}_2(x)) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(k-1)!\, (1/w)^{k+1} }{k}\)
Might be worth a look... (Bandit)

Last edited:
ZaidAlyafey said:
You can then use the recurrence and reflection formulas to obtain

$$\psi(1+x)-\psi(1-x)=\frac{1}{x}-\pi \cot (\pi x)$$

Thanks, Zaid! That's another one I hadn't thought of... I really appreciate all your help! (Handshake)(Hug)

The Laplace transform of the dilog seems interesting. I think the resultant series could be written in terms of the hyper geometric function. I have to go to sleep now , will look at later :)

ZaidAlyafey said:
I have to go to sleep now , will look at later :)

Totally understood. Sweet dreams. (Sleepy) :D
ZaidAlyafey said:
The Laplace transform of the dilog seems interesting. I think the resultant series could be written in terms of the hyper geometric function.

That's a very good idea... Hmmm! (Thinking)

I must have overlooked that but I think it is not possible to integrate the series representation since that is only valid in the unit circle. We might have luck for the integral representation but we have to prove that it converges and we can extend it behind $x>1$. I think that is possible since Li(2) is well-defined but it will give complex values.

The series in the transform of the Clausen function could also be solved using complex analysis.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I must have overlooked that but I think it is not possible to integrate the series representation since that is only valid in the unit circle. We might have luck for the integral representation but we have to prove that it converges and we can extend it behind $x>1$. I think that is possible since Li(2) is well-defined but it will give complex values.

Yes! In the cold light of day, it looks far less appetizing... (bh)(bh)(bh)

Hey Dw , have you tried the Laplace transform of

$\text{Li}_2(e^{-t})$ and $\text{Li}^2_2(e^{-t})$

I think they are doeable. And possibly the generalization $\text{Li}^n_p(e^{-t})$.

Related to An abomination of a series.... Can anyone help?

1. What is the meaning of "An abomination of a series"?

The phrase "An abomination of a series" refers to a series of something (such as books, movies, or TV shows) that is considered to be extremely bad or unpleasant.

2. Why is this series considered an abomination?

This can vary from person to person, but some common reasons for considering a series to be an abomination could be poor writing, unlikable characters, plot holes, or offensive content.

3. Can you give some examples of "An abomination of a series"?

Examples of series that have been widely considered to be abominations include the Twilight series, Fifty Shades of Grey series, and the Star Wars sequel trilogy. However, opinions on these series may vary.

4. Is "An abomination of a series" a scientific term?

No, "An abomination of a series" is not a scientific term. It is a subjective term used to describe something that is considered to be extremely bad or unpleasant.

5. Can anyone help improve "An abomination of a series"?

While it is ultimately up to the creators of the series to improve it, constructive criticism and feedback from fans and reviewers can help to identify areas that need improvement. However, not everyone will agree on what needs to be improved, as opinions on a series can vary greatly.