Amplitude of damped mass-spring system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the curve of the amplitude of oscillations for a damped spring with the given initial value problem. The general solution is a combination of a cosine and sine term, and the technique for finding the amplitude involves using a trigonometric identity to simplify the terms.
lampCable

Homework Statement

Given the IVP
[tex]
\ddot{r}+\dot{r}+20r=0\\
r(0) = 0.8\\
\dot{r}(0) = 0
[/tex]
for the length of an oscillating spring (damped), we find that the general solution is
[tex]
r=e^{-0.5t}[0.8\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)+\frac{0.4}{\sqrt{19.75}}\sin(\sqrt{19.75}t)]
[/tex]
and I wish to find the curve bounding the upper part of the solution, i.e. the amplitude of the oscillations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that if
[tex]
r=e^{-0.5t}0.8\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)
[/tex]
for example, then the amplitude would be obtained by removing the cosine factor, since [itex]e^{-0.5t}0.8[/itex] correspond to the amplitude and [itex]\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)[/itex] corresponds to how fast the spring is oscillating. But how does one do when there are two oscillating terms as above?

Physics news on Phys.org
lampCable said:

Homework Statement

Given the IVP
[tex]
\ddot{r}+\dot{r}+20r=0\\
r(0) = 0.8\\
\dot{r}(0) = 0
[/tex]
for the length of an oscillating spring (damped), we find that the general solution is
[tex]
r=e^{-0.5t}[0.8\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)+\frac{0.4}{\sqrt{19.75}}\sin(\sqrt{19.75}t)]
[/tex]
and I wish to find the curve bounding the upper part of the solution, i.e. the amplitude of the oscillations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that if
[tex]
r=e^{-0.5t}0.8\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)
[/tex]
for example, then the amplitude would be obtained by removing the cosine factor, since [itex]e^{-0.5t}0.8[/itex] correspond to the amplitude and [itex]\cos(\sqrt{19.75}t)[/itex] corresponds to how fast the spring is oscillating. But how does one do when there are two oscillating terms as above?
Use$$A\cos\theta + B\sin\theta = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left(\frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos\theta + \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\sin\theta \right)$$ $$=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\theta-\alpha)$$

Likes lampCable

Related to Amplitude of damped mass-spring system

What is the amplitude of a damped mass-spring system?

The amplitude of a damped mass-spring system is the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position while undergoing damped oscillations.

How does damping affect the amplitude of a mass-spring system?

Damping reduces the amplitude of a mass-spring system by dissipating energy from the system. As the system oscillates, the damping force acts against the motion, causing the amplitude to decrease over time.

What factors affect the amplitude of a damped mass-spring system?

The amplitude of a damped mass-spring system is affected by the damping coefficient, the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the initial conditions (such as initial displacement and velocity).

Can the amplitude of a damped mass-spring system be increased?

In general, the amplitude of a damped mass-spring system cannot be increased. However, it is possible to amplify the amplitude by applying external forces that are in phase with the system's oscillations, such as in resonance phenomena.

How is the amplitude of a damped mass-spring system calculated?

The amplitude of a damped mass-spring system can be calculated using the equation A = A0e^(-ζωnt), where A0 is the initial amplitude, ζ is the damping ratio, ωn is the natural frequency, and t is the time. Alternatively, it can also be determined by measuring the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position over time.