Amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators

In summary, the commutator of [a,b] is equal to 0 because they act on different Hilbert spaces and cannot affect each other.
haxel
Hi

I am new to this community, so don't beat me up too hard :).

I have a question about the Hamiltonian when it will simulate the principal system as a harmonic oscillator interacting with the environment which is also an harmonic oscillator (page 291 in "Quantum computation and Quantum information" Nielsen, Chuang).
Is the communtator [a,b] = 0 ? It seems to me that the operators can't affect each other but I am not sure, should there be a tensor between "a" and "b" in the Hamiltonian?
Do you have any source to back up your statements?

Sincerely
Axel

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I don't have Nielson and Chuang, so I'm not certain what you're talking about, but by conventional notation, it seems that [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are annihilation operators acting on the system and the environment respectively.

If that is so, then the [tex][a,b] = 0[/tex] because they act on different Hilbert space. [tex]a[/tex] is an operator in the system Hilbert space; [tex]b[/tex] is an operator in the environment Hilbert space.

Hello Axel,

Welcome to the community! Your question about amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators is an interesting one. In this type of system, the Hamiltonian would indeed involve a tensor product between the operators for the principal system and the environment. This is because the two systems are interacting and can affect each other.

Regarding your question about the commutator [a,b], it is not necessarily equal to zero. It depends on the specific form of the Hamiltonian and the operators a and b. In general, the commutator [a,b] represents the extent to which the operators a and b do not commute, and it can have different values depending on the specific system.

As for sources to back up these statements, I would suggest looking at textbooks on quantum mechanics or quantum computation, as well as research papers on amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators. I hope this helps answer your question. Happy researching!

Related to Amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators

1. What is amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators?

Amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators is a phenomenon in which the amplitude of a harmonic oscillator decreases over time due to the dissipation of energy. This can occur in various physical systems, such as mechanical, electrical, or optical oscillators.

2. What causes amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators?

The main cause of amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators is the loss of energy to the surrounding environment. This can be due to factors such as friction, air resistance, or electrical resistance, which convert the energy of the oscillator into heat or other forms of energy.

3. How is amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators measured?

The rate of amplitude damping can be measured by observing the change in amplitude of the oscillator over time. This can be done using instruments such as a spectrometer, which measures the intensity of light emitted by the oscillator, or a force sensor, which measures the displacement of the oscillator.

4. What are the applications of amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators?

Amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators is a common phenomenon in various fields of science and engineering. It can be used to understand the behavior of physical systems, such as pendulums or electrical circuits, and to design damping mechanisms to reduce unwanted oscillations in machines and structures.

5. Can amplitude damping be reversed?

In some cases, amplitude damping can be reversed by supplying energy back into the oscillator. This can be achieved through methods such as active control systems or resonant excitation. However, in most cases, the damping process is irreversible, and the amplitude of the oscillator will continue to decrease over time.