Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell

In summary: For the inside of the pipe, the magnetic field is zero because the current is not enclosed. For the outside of the pipe, the magnetic field is the same as that of a solenoid: B = \mu IN / L, where N is the number of turns and L is the length of the solenoid. Therefore, the expression for the magnetic field outside the pipe is B = \mu I (2\pi r / L). In summary, the magnetic field inside the pipe is zero and outside the pipe it is given by B = \mu I (2\pi r / L).
gsquare567

Homework Statement

A long, hollow conducting pipe of radius R and length L carries a uniform current I flowing around the pipe. Find expressions for the magnetic field (a) inside and (b) outside the pipe. Hint: What configuration does this pipe resemble?

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law: [tex]\oint[/tex]B dr = [tex]\mu[/tex] Iencircled
(mu is the permeability constant, and the integral is over the dot product of B and dr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking at the open cylindrical shell from an open end, having current going counter-clockwise.

(a) For r < R, Iencircled = 0, and therefore so must be the magnetic field.

(b) This is where I need help (particularly with using the hint given). Since the magnetic field is pointing into the page outside of the shell, my B (dot product) dr will always be 0, because dr is encircling the current, and B is going into the page, which makes the angle between them 90, and cos90 = 0. However, this cannot be because Iencircled = I.

How can I look at it to rightfully configure this integral? This is also making me question my answer for (a), because there should still be a B field coming out of the page on the inside of the shell, but the current is not inside the closed path =S

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Model this as a solenoid with infinitely thin wire wrapped around the cylinder.

Related to Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell

1. What is Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell?

Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell is a mathematical equation in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through a cylindrical surface that is open at both ends. It is named after the French physicist André-Marie Ampère.

2. How is Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell different from the original Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell is a modified version of the original Ampere's Law, which only applies to closed loops. The open cylindrical shell version takes into account the presence of an open end, which can affect the magnetic field and current flow.

3. What is the significance of using an open cylindrical shell in Ampere's Law?

The open cylindrical shell allows for more accurate calculations of the magnetic field and current flow in cases where there is an open end, such as in a solenoid or a coaxial cable. This helps to better understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell?

Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell is used in many practical applications, including in the design of transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of magnetic fields in materials, such as in MRI machines and particle accelerators.

5. How is Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell derived?

Ampere's Law with an open cylindrical shell is derived from the principles of Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It is a fundamental law in electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting electromagnetic phenomena.