Ampere's law in a nonuniform conducting cylinder.

In summary, we use the formula I = ∫JxdA to find the total current inside a long cylindrical conductor with a non-uniform current density given by J = br. The magnetic field magnitude B at a distance r < R is μbr^2/3 and at a distance r > R is μbR^3/(3r). This solution is correct.
13pr3ch4un

Homework Statement

A long, cylindrical conductor of radius R carries a current I. The current density, J, is not uniform and is given by the equation J = br, where b is a constant. Find an expression for the magnetic field magnitude B at distance r < R and at distance r > R.

Homework Equations

I = ∫JxdA
B= μI/(2pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think that I have this figured out, but it's an even numbered problem so I don't know if I'm correct.
a) First finding I inside r
I = ∫JxdA = ∫br2(pi)rdr = 2(pi)b∫r^2dr = 2/3(pi)br^3 when integrating from 0 to r

So B = μI/(2(pi)r) = 2μ(pi)br^3/(6(pi)r) = μbr^2/3

b) First finding total I
I = ∫JxdA = ∫br2(pi)rdr = 2(pi)b∫r^2dr = 2/3(pi)bR^3 when integrating from 0 to R

so B = μI/(2(pi)r) = 2μ(pi)bR^3/(6(pi)r) = μbR^3/(3r)

I'm pretty sure it's correct, but not entirely sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone confirm or correct me?

Hi there! Your solution looks correct to me. The expression for B at a distance r < R is μbr^2/3 and at a distance r > R is μbR^3/(3r). Good job!

Related to Ampere's law in a nonuniform conducting cylinder.

1. What is Ampere's law in a nonuniform conducting cylinder?

Ampere's law in a nonuniform conducting cylinder is a mathematical equation that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the current passing through the loop and the surface integral of the electric field along the loop.

2. How is Ampere's law used in a nonuniform conducting cylinder?

Ampere's law is used to calculate the magnetic field inside and outside a nonuniform conducting cylinder by taking the integral of the electric field along a closed loop passing through the cylinder.

3. What is the significance of a nonuniform conducting cylinder in Ampere's law?

A nonuniform conducting cylinder allows for the calculation of the magnetic field in complex and varying geometries, which is useful in many practical applications such as designing electromagnets and studying magnetic fields in materials.

4. Can Ampere's law be used for non-cylindrical shapes?

Yes, Ampere's law can be applied to any closed loop passing through a non-cylindrical shape, as long as the electric field along the loop can be integrated. However, it is most commonly used for cylindrical shapes because of its symmetry and ease of calculation.

5. How does Ampere's law in a nonuniform conducting cylinder differ from the uniform case?

In the uniform case, the magnetic field is constant throughout the cylinder and Ampere's law simplifies to B = μ₀I/2πr. In the nonuniform case, the magnetic field varies with position and the integral of the electric field must be taken along the closed loop to calculate it.