Ampere's Law and Infinite Current Sheets

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field for an infinite current sheet using the equation ∫B(dot)dl = μoIencl. The attempt at a solution involved creating a loop that enclosed the sheet and solving for the magnetic field. However, the answer was incorrect due to a missing factor of 1/2 in front of the solution. This is because the loop should enclose both above and below the current, not just one side.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the question:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/HW%20Pictures/infinite%20current%20sheet.PNG

Homework Equations

∫B(dot)dl = μoIencl

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/HW%20Pictures/Photo%202012-04-06%2010%2045%2008%20PM.jpg

According to the answer key my answer too large. The answer key has a coefficient of 1/2 in front of my answer... What did I do wrong? For my solution there is magnetic field in the sheet so the path is just L.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi theBEAST! :smile:

hint: what does "enclosed" mean? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi theBEAST! :smile:

hint: what does "enclosed" mean? :wink:

OH so only half of the current is in that loop right?

Edit: Wait a second... What if my loop only enclosed 1/4 of the sheet so would my answer have a coefficient of 1/4 in front of it? Or would this not be legal as the amperian path is no longer symmetric?

theBEAST said:
OH so only half of the current is in that loop right?

no!

the current has to be in the loop, so you need the loop to be both above and below the current

(you're probably thinking of electric cases where one side of a gaussian loop goes through a conductor :wink:)

Your attempt at a solution looks correct, but there may be a misunderstanding of the question. The question is asking for the magnetic field at a distance x from the sheet, not at the sheet itself. This means that the path for integration should be from 0 to x, not just L.

Also, the coefficient of 1/2 in the answer key may be due to the fact that the current sheet is infinite. In this case, the magnetic field would be the same on both sides of the sheet, so the integral from 0 to x would be equal to the integral from -x to 0. This would result in a factor of 1/2 in front of your answer.

I hope this helps!

Related to Ampere's Law and Infinite Current Sheets

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop.

2. How does Ampere's Law apply to infinite current sheets?

Ampere's Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field around an infinite current sheet by taking the integral of the magnetic field over the entire sheet.

3. What is an infinite current sheet?

An infinite current sheet is an idealized model of a current-carrying surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is often used in theoretical calculations to simplify the analysis of magnetic fields.

4. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field around a finite current sheet?

No, Ampere's Law is only applicable to infinite current sheets. For finite current sheets, other methods such as the Biot-Savart Law must be used to calculate the magnetic field.

5. What are the practical applications of Ampere's Law and infinite current sheets?

Ampere's Law and infinite current sheets have many practical applications in electromagnetism, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in the study of plasma physics and astrophysics.